[Lathe] New To Me Pre 1905 Blaisdell 22 Inch Lathe... Help Please?

David Larson

Registered
Registered
I just picked up a 22 inch Blaisdell Lathe total bed length 10 foot...(can't put up a picture until I get my 5 posts...)

I was hoping one of you fine people could lead me into some more information (manuals, specifications) (all i can find so far is a sales sheet)

It's been modified with a 1 HP 110 electric motor and a chevy transmission.

Any advice? I'm about a can of PB Powerblaster in.full lathe.jpg 20150407_181937_resized.jpg . 20150407_181730_resized.jpg 20150407_181654_resized.jpg 20150407_181703_resized.jpg

Good find. From your pic, not sure if it’s a 22”? Looks more ~14”. And the 1 hp motor is a little under rated for that size lathe. Are you showing us the rack because of the missing tooth? I would try and turn the rack around and put that bad part at the other end of the lathe where it probably will not be used…Good Luck, Dave.

That makes much more sense. If i didnt mention before, im a total newbee. The only numbers i had access to was a measurement of the length of a bed.
Is the 14 a sure model number or are you guessing at the swing.

the rack still has half of that tooth left... also was showing the big braze (and scab just behind it) just below and to the tail of it. (scared to think what did that, either a big mistake or someone dropped it?)

I’m only guessing around 14” because it’s a pic. You will need to measure from the center of the head stock spindle to the nearest free point on the ways/bed, then times that number by 2, to get swing. If that’s a braze job, does it go all the way around? That would be a bad thing. Maybe move the headstock, legs and everything to the right and make the lathe that much shorter?

Sorry David, I cannot help you with your quest for manuals or specs, but I have to say what a big, beautiful machine.....
I respect those that recover a piece of machining past from the grips of rust and metal recyclers.
Pre 1905 wow!

I would try and turn the rack around and put that bad part at the other end of the lathe where it probably will not be used

I gotta agree with Dave; if the mounting holes line up(or even if they don't) flip the rack end-for-end!

However, I also spotted that big, messy lump of repair in the base casting......what's with that? Is that also a repair in the rectangular ways right in-line with the missing rack tooth and lump?
Even if it is a full repair, you can work within the limits of the machine knowing what it is.....it would be really interesting to see measurements of diameters turned near both ends of the bed.

All the best!
-brino

Any advice on to make these make measurements/adjustments.... will flip ifbi need to. Hope it broke clean and cracked so that i would have to be close to correct When brased

can you show a pix of the head where it bolts to the base ? and is it welded everywhere/ all around the base or bed ? just checking in case you may desire to shorten the base or bed and remount the head to get away from the crack. that may make it too short but I'm just curious. .

you may desire to shorten the base or bed and remount the head to get away from the crack

hey, davidh, that's a great idea!
If there is too much mis-alignment just cut down the length; you're starting with 10 feet, so you'd still have a very useable centre-to-centre distance.

Back