New To Me PM 1236!

Erlau

Registered
Registered
Excited to have a new-to-me PM 1236 in the garage. After watching Craigslist and eBay for 2 years, I finally found a lathe that fit my criteria and was local. It’s a couple years old but looks like it had limited use. Just got done running the electric and changing the oil so I’m ready for first chips! I’ve enjoyed reading through countless threads here and am looking forward to starting some projects of my own.
E55763EB-EABD-49D4-AF5E-488DB256F6A0.jpeg

One question… Anyone know what this spring-loaded pin is for? It was in the bag of hardware that the seller gave me when I picked it up. When I showed up with the trailer to pick up the lathe, he had partially disassembled a couple things to get it separated from the base and ready for loading so I’m not sure where it goes. The spring OD is about 0.25”.
F3A98F4B-948C-4209-9A8F-88A0BA578DED.jpeg

That's a great looking lathe. Congrats!

I've had the same tailstock keyless drill chuck for 10 years. Excellent quality!

No idea what that part is though.

Thanks @Ken226 . I’m excited.

On that keyless drill chuck, is yours kind of tight to turn? I can spin it by hand but it requires much more force than other keyless chucks I’ve used in the past.

Not sure on that plunger. I will say my 4 way tool post had a plunger that indexed the TP perpendicular to the spindle, but it looked differently than that.

If it were me, I’d keep it for years, and then when I finally took it apart to re-use the spring, I would find it’s purpose when it was too late.

Hope you figure it out!

Congratulations on the new to you lathe!

I would ask the previous owner about the plunger, he took it apart.

It could be left over from some other project he had.

Tim

Thanks @Ken226 . I’m excited.

On that keyless drill chuck, is yours kind of tight to turn? I can spin it by hand but it requires much more force than other keyless chucks I’ve used in the past.

Yes it is. I believe it's from a lubed o-ring seal between the rotating and non-rotating parts. My other keyless chucks dont even have that o-ring. It's even harder to turn right now, since it's 10°f in the shop.

If it were me, I’d keep it for years, and then when I finally took it apart to re-use the spring, I would find it’s purpose when it was too late.
Great minds think alike, ha.

I would ask the previous owner about the plunger, he took it apart.
I asked him. He said he didn’t remember. Oh well, maybe it’s purpose will be revealed in time.

Yes it is. I believe it's from a lubed o-ring seal between the rotating and non-rotating parts.
Got it, thanks Ken.

Congratulations on the lathe, it's a great size and looks to be in excellent condition!

I'd love to find something like that locally.

Brian

Back