New To Me Mckenzie Lathe

So I got a chance to try out some thinner shims I got the oil clearance to about .0015 on half of the bearing.... I think the plastigage is trying to tell me a story lol
it tapers down to a .003 gap about a 1/2" from the end of the bearing this is the side closest to the chuck. Is this OK? I mean I'm gonna have to run what I've got but what kind of problems if any will I get from this? And is there any remedy for this? IMG_20170203_222358.jpg IMG_20170203_223211.jpg

My feeling is you'll probably never notice it, if it was mine I would probably use it as is for a while- fix everything else up and re-visit it later.
Mark S.

Well I have an update! Things are going well and a little bit of time spent playing around with shims has got my oil clearance between 1-2thou! I used a 1 thou thicker shim in the back of the bearing than in the front and it took care of some of that taper too! Here's what the head stock looks like now. Just finishing up the name plates before they go on. And I'll be doing a few final touches on the cone pulleys and back gear ;) IMG_20170209_230703.jpg

When you mount the headstock to the bed, make sure it is touching at all four corners on the bed. If not, you will throw the spindle into a bind and not rotate.

Will do! I'm still waiting for the weather to get better so I can paint the bed and legs, and run power out to the shop but I can't wait to put it all back together! :D

Yea no kidding lol if anyone knows about our ground hog ritual here in Canada they know that little bugger lied! Haha :grin big:

Got some braze repairs done on the steady rest! Still not finished but it's atleast in one piece again! So glad I picked up the pieces even though at the time I didn't know what I would do with them. Here's what it looks like so far.IMG_20170214_124618.jpg IMG_20170214_124509.jpg IMG_20170214_124320.jpg

@Izzy -nice job on the brazing, you're almost done!
I am glad you could save the steady rest.
-brino

Back