New (to me) Grizzly DF-1224G or G1003 lathe (aka Busybee/ Dai Fong DF-1224G)

Very nice write up, thanks for sharing. I understand the desire to make it as accurate as possible as a goal in itself. From a practical standpoint, if I have a taper of a mil or 2, I hit it with a file. By the way there are special long angle files made specifically for lathes that work better. Also turning between centers or with a steady rest.
If you did need to stiffen the cast iron legs you could bolt diagonal braces on, the bolt holes are typically made a little oversized, torqueing down the nuts clamps the two parts together. Not really sure that is desirable or necessary as even a very rigid cast iron tool will bend and twist a little over time. Also it messes with under lathe storage.
Flex of your test bar (or chuck jaws) under cutting loads can easily cause a tapered shaft, 1" dia by 5" or 6" long. I think very sharp HSS is a good idea, make sure GIBs are adjusted, well oiled, make sure compound rest and cross slide screws were last turned inward. If cutting forces are part of the confusion I think you will typically have a larger diameter further from the chuck. Aluminum will have lower cutting forces than steel.
Consider getting a test bar that fits in the headstock taper. Or use the dumbell you have made and use a test indicator on it as the saddle is moved back and forth to more quickly see the effects of changing leveling up and down with no cutting force. Having leveling feet that can be adjusted will be way easier than shims, I suspect these could be at the floor, adjacent to the rollers or between the lathe and table. I think being able to adjust the headstock relative to the bed could be a huge advantage, on my lathe it is machined to fit so not easy to change if its out.
For leveling the lathe there are different ways to attack it. 1) Adjust it so it cuts strait who cares how level. 2)Adjust it level to the original machined lathe datums, need to find surfaces on your lathe that are not worn. Or as navy chief suggested use the top of the saddle which adjusts it level based on the existing possibly worn V way surfaces. If I were adjusting to cut strait, I think I would record how far out of level it is so I could adjust it back if the lathe is moved.
thanks lots or really good info and summarization!

I do love the saddle thought or trick can also check the compound travel in relation to its ways with that mentality as well but ill hold off going too insane.

I think for now it needs its "permanent" spot in my shop and wiring ran (rather than mooching off the 220 outlet for my mill).

I'll post more updates of a aspiring NASA machinist :p or when I come down to earth with chasing zeros.

Nice thread! Good find. Where are you at in WI? I'm near Fond Du Lac. Hopefully I can find some equipment or someone close by to learn from and offer help for a few occaisional machining projects.

Nice thread! Good find. Where are you at in WI? I'm near Fond Du Lac. Hopefully I can find some equipment or someone close by to learn from and offer help for a few occaisional machining projects.
IM in the fox valley area so just a little north from you. I had a difficult time finding anything in the "small" category and or not beat up, hence I ended up needing a road trip to get this one.

I'm a absolute novice so sorry that I cant really be much of any help in terms of learning as I'm in the same spot myself.

I'm a absolute novice so sorry that I cant really be much of any help in terms of learning as I'm in the same spot myself.
Aww shucks! Give yourself a few weeks of reading and you'll be the armchair expert that half of us are! Ha!
A couple months of oopsies with the lathe and you'll have some definite hard line opinions on some topics.
A couple years into it, those will probably soften up a bit.
Enjoy the transitions!!

It disappoints me to see nice hobby machines become rotting piles of junk. It warms me to see new guys take the initiative to restore the machines to clean woking quality. Once your lathe is clean and oiled the week to week cleanliness upkeep is very minimal. Heres a quick pic of my brand new G9962Z ready to go from my shed to my basement workshop. Ive had to fix a ton of "less than ideal assembly" from the China assembly factory. She will be a smooth runner when its back together. Good luck O/P !

IMG_20220314_194142688.jpg

IM in the fox valley area so just a little north from you. I had a difficult time finding anything in the "small" category and or not beat up, hence I ended up needing a road trip to get this one.

Hi I'm in Freedom but work in Neenah. New at this all too. Might be worth sharing some experiences!

Back