New to me Grizzly 1237g

SWIGIN

Registered
Registered
I recently bought this lathe from a buddy who I helped load it when he got it from a gunsmiths widow in 2020.
Grizzly 1237.JPG

In the past 3 years my buddy did nothing with the lathe really and he had it wired wrong and you could hardly make a cut without it stalling out. He got sick of it so I bought it and cleaned it up and got it working very well again.
Painted Cabinet.JPG

Lathe Foot Installed.JPG

I guess since the original owner was a gunsmith, this lathe has a taper attachment, 5c collet closer, steady and follow rests, 3 and 4 jaw 8'' chucks, face plate, spindle steady (I forget the name...cats head?), a DRO and change gears.
Grizzly Goods.JPG

Cabinet Goodies.JPG

DRO Mount 2.JPG

I got the bed leveled and turned a test bar and found that the head was out .001 per inch. What a pain but I finally got that within a tenth in 7'' and then the tailstock needed realigned to match but now it is ready for action.

I need to play with the gearing and feed box and see about threading on this machine. My only threading experience is on a 1922 change gear machine and I'm totally new to being able to change feeds and such easily.

Thats enough for now I guess but thanks for all the info on these machines that I have found on here so far!

Awesome! I am confident you made a good decision there!

I was wondering if anyone on here has this machine or one similar that also has the 5c collet closer?

I have never used one or even seen one before but I'm getting ready to lay out what I have and see if I can figure it out once it's cleaned up.

There are some decent videos on YouTube, and I suppose these closers all work in a similar manner, but they all have differences in appearance. The 1003g manual I have has no info in it about the collet closer or much else for that matter.

Nice, I just got the same machine (Busy Bee version). I didn't know a taper attachment was even an option.

Yeah, and the collet closer must be kind of rare too since no one has replied to my last post.

Yeah, and the collet closer must be kind of rare too since no one has replied to my last post.

Never seen the collet close either but I’d love to see some detail pics of it.

Here you go Dave,

I got a few pics of the taper attachment with that nasty shipping grease cleaned off of it.
TA Top.JPG

It looks like all of the sliding surfaces are scraped and it all has a very fine fit.

TA angle end.JPG

Here's the bed clamp.
TA Bed Clamp.JPG

And one from the back.
TA from the back.JPG

I'll get some pics of the collet closer when I get to cleaning it up.

Here you go Dave,

I got a few pics of the taper attachment with that nasty shipping grease cleaned off of it.
View attachment 467111

It looks like all of the sliding surfaces are scraped and it all has a very fine fit.

View attachment 467112

Here's the bed clamp.
View attachment 467113

And one from the back.
View attachment 467114

I'll get some pics of the collet closer when I get to cleaning it up.
Thanks for those. Any idea how you disconnect the cross slide leadscrew to use the taper attachment?

Thanks for those. Any idea how you disconnect the cross slide leadscrew to use the taper attachment?

Mine uses a nearly identical taper attachment. There's a single socket head cap screw in the middle of the cross slide that secures the cross slide to the brass nut underneath.

I just pull out that screw, then turn my taper. When I'm done, I remove the taper attachment, mmanually slide the cross slide to align the hole and nut, then put the screw back in.

Part#652
Screenshot_20231117-191108.png

Last edited:
Back