New to me Elliot junior mill, looking for parts

crusty_rusty_

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired (for free) an Elliott Victoria junior mill. It appears to be missing its vertical head attachment and I'm trying to track one down. Any help would be appreciated attached is a picture of my machine and a complete one
20220724_151838.jpg
818711.jpg

Last edited:
It's all of a really serious precision machine! I do get it that doing it justice by reuniting it with a vertical head may not be easy. One does not normally find a vertical head without much or all of the rest of the machine still attached.

Given that it is a total FREEBIE, I already have a case of machine envy over the indexing dividing head, apparently thrown in.

Bridgeport vertical heads are often adapted to different brand horizontal mills, might be easier to find although more work than getting the original parts.

Free????

:you suck:

Cheers,

John

That's a great idea, I am playing around with the idea of adapting a head to it. And yes I didn't mean to boast but am very excited about the deal I scored on this machine. It belonged to a technical school and spent 30 years in the electrical department where students would install various different motors, wiering and drivers on it. It wasn't really used as a milling machine or atleast not for long and other then needing a clean and some new seals looks in almost perfect condition.

It's all of a really serious precision machine! I do get it that doing it justice by reuniting it with a vertical head may not be easy. One does not normally find a vertical head without much or all of the rest of the machine still attached.

Given that it is a total FREEBIE, I already have a case of machine envy over the indexing dividing head, apparently thrown in.
I agree it will be a challenge to find the original head, but I figure the sooner I start looking the more of a chance I'll have to find one. matthewsx makes a good point that I could adapt a vertical milling head from another machine onto this one, so I guess I'm also looking for any other brand of mlling head as well. The dividing head did come with the machine. It is actually part of the original package the machine came with from what I can tell

A milling head from another machine, found without the rest of the machine hanging on to it , is perhaps just as rare as finding an Elliot head. I would not know how much of a long shot it would be, but I am thinking you might have the skills to fabricate your own version from some reasonably thick plate, and add a bought-in spindle.

I freely confess that I have no idea whether this is a sensible idea or not. Your mill is way above the league of many of the various homebrew CNC mill projects one sees. Getting something rigid enough is a challenge exceptional!

Back