New To Me Atlas Mill

Finally got one of those several years ago from an estate. Darn near 1,000 mile round trip to pick it up. Had been wanting one for decades ever since I saw one in the mechanical engineering shops at a university.

Congratulations on scratching an itch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice score. That looks like it's in pretty decent shape. A lot of the ones I see look like they've led hard lives.

What are the two extra toggle switches on the side for?

When I received it there was just a 2 prong duplex outlet on the back, no ground. Those switches went to each of the outlets. One of them had a light plugged into it. I will hopefully be able to fix the light. Judging from how dirty it was with dried oil and some tubing I believe it had a flood coolant system of some kind on it and I am guessing the other one went to a pump of some kind. When I rewired put on a dual gang box and kept the switches going to one of the outlets. The other outlets are hot when it is plugged in.

Atlas did offer a recirculating coolant pump for these mills as an option. It seems like a cool feature. Mine just has the drip coolant tank.

Either of the two Atlas supplied coolant pumps sat inside of the housing on the base. The housing was also the oil reservoir. In the past three years, I have seen exactly one of them for sale on eBay. And I got outbid on it.

Nice find, I'm jealous. I have been looking for one of these for a while now. I would love to have a vertical mill, but due to the size and location of my shop, the atlas would work better for me. How much does it weigh? Really nice find, I am sure you will enjoy it.

The 1952 catalog says 205# for the MFC. That would be less motor but otherwise complete with arbor and arbor supports. The M1C is 194#. And the MHC (of which relatively few were apparently made) is 202#.

Back