New to me 1927 9” junior

The 9" Jr.'s are actually the same basic profile as the Heavy 10's. Most parts are closer to interchangeable with the Heavy 10 rather than the Toolroom 9" lathes we see so often. It looks like you have a massive start on parts to get yours running, so that is a huge win. While it looks like you have a quick change gear box (QCGB is the most common abbreviation), it also looks like your lathe does not have the lead screw for it, so if you are going to use it, you might have to cut your own lead screw using your lathe, or hope for a chance to find one (check the heavy 10 lead screws for those - the QCGB will have a model number on the plate, and that model will tell you what it was for). I would warn you that a Heavy 10 lead screw will likely have an additional lengthwise groove that will wear on the power feed nuts more, because the aprons on a heavy 10 are also made for a power cross feed, which the juniors don't have. You might be able to swap the whole carriage - I don't know, I haven't tried.

In the mean time, for a change-gear-style, your change gears are 16 pitch, so as you build that out, you can zero in on any gears for that. I posted a gear combination chart on my gearing page, if you need it. I went through a bit of math with my Junior to figure out gearing.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/page3.html
http://www.silverhawk.net/2015/11/new-south-bend-9x19-lathe.html
http://www.silverhawk.net/2015/12/gearing-for-my-south-bend-junior-lathe.html

We do have quite a few people on here who have these magnificent old iron pieces. I started with my Junior, and then in a fit of absolute stupidity curiosity, I decided to see if a cheap Heavy 10 headstock would fit, and it did. The problem was the headstock was an under-drive mount, and my junior was a rear-mounted belt, so I just had to build the heavy 10. So, if you need to change parts and can't find them, think of a new headstock and matching tailstock.

I would recommend a quick change tool post - the AXA models (even the cheap Chinese stuff) are easier to swap out than the Armstrong type tool holders that mine came with. Everything else is manageable. Good to have you on the forum!

Silverhawk

A quick follow up to my previous post - I finally saw the brass plate on the QCGB - it looks like a 644a . If that is the case, it is for a 9A, and is more than likely not compatible with your Junior.

Good eye! This is the current project.., I hope to get the lathe to a point that I can make some one off chopper/bike parts
View attachment 442340View attachment 442341
You must be a young guy, those rigid frames are not for older guys with hip arthritis, like me. Nice bike though.
It will be interesting to see the lathe as it all comes together. I started on a SB 9C, and I’m still using it.

How is your lathe coming along, Stayxcalm? I am very interested because I just picked up a 1928 Junior. Not too much information out there on these good old pieces of American iron.

Back