New to Honing (Sunnen 1660)

OldSchool33

Registered
Registered
I'm new to honing with a formal machine - Sunnen 1660. We're honing HONDA GX270 engines (cylinder sleeve type is Cast Iron).

Given that the cylinder is within spec and can be honed, which mandrel and abrasive should be used?

The Sunnen mandrel website is a bit overwhelming with options/ abrasives.

Cylinder Sleeve I.D. 77.000 – 77.017 (3.0315 – 3.0322) 77.17(3.038)

Any help is appreciated.

The ring manufacturers have advise on finishes for their different types of ring material.

Copy that, Sunnen came back with the following:

AN-600 $1,340.00
M27J45 2.7” – 4.1” $30.30 each – roughing stone
M27J87 2.7” – 4.1” $30.30 each – finishing stone

I will follow up with more info!

Thought so, I had a kart business for many years and built everything from Briggs stockers to 40 hp modified strokers.

Post some pictures of your builds....

John
That's great! 40hp? That sounds like some drivers could get into trouble. :)

I will get some pictures when I'm on site this weekend.

We run a B&S LO206 - 8 hp engine, with the bottom half sealed at the factory. We also run Rotax Mini Max (2-cycle) engines on older rental karts to provide a more competitive offering.

That's great! 40hp? That sounds like some drivers could get into trouble. :)

I will get some pictures when I'm on site this weekend.

We run a B&S LO206 - 8 hp engine, with the bottom half sealed at the factory. We also run Rotax Mini Max (2-cycle) engines on older rental karts to provide a more competitive offering.
Nice, I worked with Dave Klaus on the LO206 program and tested some of the first ones. I ran a business called Heartbeat Racing that I bought from Kim and Mike Clements who I apprenticed with on engine building. Here's a little picture of the modified 305 we sold.

305_CUSTOM.jpg

I still have my dyno back in Michigan if you know anybody interested.

John

Back