New To Everything! Need Advice For My First Lathe.

OK. Maybe one of the commercial Atlas machine breakers will end up with it and offer the good parts for sale. Timken headstocks will usually sell. And some of the other parts. They seldom list beds because of shipping difficulties but most of the other parts or subassemblies are no problem there.

Reactions: Mog
that model lathe is good for a beginner. but not that lathe in the ad. first it did not have the gear set that is needed to thread and change speeds. the chuck had only one set of jaws and the out side ones at that. no other tooling at all. the broken cross slide handle is also a big red flag. it would be good for parts. you did well to pass on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold one of that exact same model yesterday for $275. It was not nearly as nice as the one listed above. Mine had no compound, only a T-slotted cross-slide. It was also missing the 4-groove countershaft pulley. It was dirty and had some surface rough. I had people lined up for it. It may depend on the local market - I don't know Indiana - but here in N Texas that was a very fair price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be patient and go for the South-bend with,quick-change & accessories, Some should be lurking around your area! The bigger the better!

Hello Mog;
Well, you can get a fixer-upper, or get a used machine that's already been refurbished. Don't know how long you want to wait before making chips, but restoring an old machine like this takes some time, and $$$. Here is a good looking SB 9" near Charlotte, NC that has been fixed up pretty well; it has the v-belt drive instead of the flat belts:
SB_Pic.jpg
I think the table comes with it. A little pricey @ $1675, but it's OBO so you might get a lower offer accepted. Here's the link:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/5284570011.html
Good Luck!

For that kind of dollars, you should be able to get a nice condition 12" Atlas or Craftsman Commercial cabinet model. Or probably the Clausing or Logan equivalent.

I think I'm going a different direction now. Lol. Probably going with a grizzly 7x14 for now. I still want a south bend, but I'm going to wait for now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Back