new to a 50's south bend 9". Have some questions

overkill engineering

Registered
Registered
Hey fellas,

Picked up a south bend lathe 9. It has 3 belt locations, with the pull pin style back gear, and a 3 phase motor running a 2 speed pulley setup. Got everything hooked up and works so far. I have cutting tools on order.

So I have read the 1966 version of "how to run a lathe". I am slightly confused with the apron controls. My apron looks exactly like the one in the picture on the left. I understand the longitudinal, cross and compound handles and way they do... Can someone explain what the clutch knob, feed control lever, and half nut lever do? When I turn my lathe on, the feed screw is turing, and I can raise the half nut lever and get the longitudinal feed to work. The manual says that is for threading only. So what does the feed control lever and clutch knob do?

The manual says the clutch controls power feeds, but engaging the half nut lever appears makes the apron move left and right. Do both the clutch knob and half nut lever do the same thing? How do I engage the cross power feed? I can't see anywhere that explains the feed control lever and its purpose... Anyways, basically just looking for the down and dirty on what each lever/knob does and when to use it for what. Thanks guys...

The feed control lever on the front of the apron has 2 positions? Which toggles you from cross to longitudinal feed. The half nut is ONLY for threading.

Hello, I cannot see the pics.

I will copy a quote on how to run a lathe part 1.

The power feed friction clutch controls the operation of both the power longitudinal feed and the power cross feed.

There are generally two methods used for operating the clutch: either a handle or knob.

In general, the handle is pulled upward or the knob is turned to the right to engage the clutch, and the handle pushed down or the knob turned to the left to disengage the clutch.

The direction of the feed is controlled by the position of the reverse lever on the headstock.

The feed change lever has three positions: " UP" For longitudinal feeds, "DOWN" For cross feeds, and "CENTER" for NEUTUAL .

The Half nut lever is used ONLY FOR THREAD CUTTING. The feed change lever must be in the "center" or neutral position before the half nuts can be engaged.

Hope this helps.. Al.

like endmill said only use the halfnut for threading, the clutch is used to engage your saddle for longitude movement when reg cutting and compound travel when cutting i dont know if you got the safety feature on yours which will not let you engage the halfnut at the same time compound is ingaged

like endmill said only use the halfnut for threading, the clutch is used to engage your saddle for longitude movement when reg cutting and compound travel when cutting i dont know if you got the safety feature on yours which will not let you engage the halfnut at the same time compound is ingaged
oops to late lol:biggrin:

Sorry guys... Here are the sections, which I think you guys quoted... 1.jpg2.jpg

This is what my lathe looks like..
3.jpg

So, if the half nut is only for threading, and the clutch knob is for turning... Does that mean the half nut settings are much faster than the normal cutting speed when the clutch is used? Thanks for the help. I will get out there and play with it in the morning...

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

to turn a certain thread you need a speed, thread per inch the gear box gives you that speed by the position of the levers:biggrin:

Before you do threading make sure your thread dial is in sync with the lead screw and don't forget to pull the pin on the bull gear then engage the back gear before starting machine. Engage the half nuts on the same even or odd numbers you start out with and always start the threading past the part to allow for slop in the dials. Just practice cutting air first before using it on metal, it takes some practice. Some people leave the half nuts engaged all the time while threading and just backing off cutter and putting it in reverse till the start point, just different ways to do it. Just try all the knobs and levers to get used to the machine at first. Always turn machine off before making any kind of changes with gear box, back gear, reverse or any kind of gear or feed changes.
Paul

Back