New Style Fly Cutter

I do like the inserts though. I think I'm gonna make an insert holdder for my fly cutters.

i cannot see a $300 flycutter in my future
it says 18.5" max , 650 rpm max yikes
nice design though well worth copying i like the inset for the locking screws nice safety idea
steve

I am limited to 12 pounds total tool weight, emailed the guy and asked the weight but with the arbor, holder and bar my guess is it will go past 12 pounds.
Looks to be a good candidate for a downsize though.

Ken

At that price, it must be a mighty good one ;^) It seems that if you want to mount it on something, it is going to cost you more.
I too think I will stay with my old cheapie. It has served me well for years.

Randy

$300 bucks is a sizable amount to be sure but if you think about it and have the need to face wide amounts it really is not that bad I don't think, but I'm not going to run out and get one either :))

Ken

I'll not be spending 2 gals of bourbon money on a tool! That amount of bourbon will hold me for at least twice the week or so it'll take to draw and make one. :drink:

Steve

Believe he may have been comparing the Blanchard (yeah it's a stretch) to facing heads of cast iron.

I was impressed actually (but I may be easy) and did not hear the chatter, though I may have seen evidence of it in the cut but wasn't sure.

Ken

No, I haven't tried it, and for $300.00 I probably won't be trying it any time soon.

I saw the video and I am not the least impressed.

Last edited:
That is the exact fly cutter I posted a thread on a few months back. I was interested in building my own, and had asked here if anyone had one, or used one.

I decided against making one of those. If my mill had a heavyer spindle, I might have. Be my mill is the typical R-8 spindle, I decided to make my own, but with a 9 inch diam disc. I used a R-8 boring head arbour, as they are cheap, and readly available. Bored and threaded the disc for the arbour, and have yet to finish this fly cutter to date. The final thing that needs to be done is machine the slots for the tooling.

Ive ben thinking of cutting into the disc every 120 degree,s and using 3 - 3/8 shank cutters. Mine is just a experiment at this point. I will have to post the final results when its finished , and tooken for a test run to evaluate how well it works. If it works well, I have a 12 inch OD piece of cast iron to build yet a bigger version. And will most likely use another boring head arbour to mount the plate to.

The fly cutter as show by the OPer, at 300 bucks was out of my price range. But easy enough to build my own. The main thing that made me think twice was flexing of the tool holder being so long, and the second thing was the balance of that tool holder. I didnt want to take a chance on either problem.
Though Im sure they have that sorted out allready, but how many proto types did that take?

Back