New Sidney Lathe Needing Parts

dcheff

Active User
Registered
Please forgive my ignorance, I am just a hobby machinist, not a professional so I do not know a lot of the names or proper nomenclature for what I am talking about.

I just got a sidney lathe, I havent even gotten it powered up yet but I do know I am missing one of the half nuts on the carriage.(not sure what it runs just yet, will figure that out tomorrow and take a few pictures also.)

Also looking for new brass wear plates for the carriage, where it rides on the bed. i figured since I have it apart to paint might as well replace some wear items. Oh and the wiper seals or leathers for the carriage too.

Last question for now, where can I get a keyed shaft that is 88" long? everything I am finding is only 72 inches maximum. I need 3/4 od with a 3/16 keyway. idiots who loaded it up just slung chains around it.

one last thing just popped into my head. I am in need of a tool post holder like a dorian or what not. would prefer used.

I just realized that aside from missing the half nut it is also missing the thread gage. Any idea where I could get one that would work for it?

dscheff,

I assume that you mean the threading dial instead of thread gauge.

Yes that's what I meant

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OK.

Half nuts come in matched pairs. If the PO actually only installed either the upper or the lower half, when you find a replacement for the lead screw, don't try to use it until you find a complete half nut. If you do, you will quickly be looking for another lead screw.

It is sometimes possible to straighten a lead screw. Have you considered trying that? Or having someone do it?

How much of the original lead screw isn't threaded? Probably not as much as 16" but I don't know that. What I was thinking about (and I know that this has been done on other machines) is splicing a length of solid round onto the end of the threaded bar.

Finally, I'm not at all familiar with the Sidney lathes. But a quick search on eBay leads me to think that at some point Monarch bought the company. There is a Monarch forum under Other Brands of Machinery. You might want to also post your needs there for wider coverage.

Also, if the Sidney lead screw is 3/4"-8 Acme, there is at least a possibility that the threading dial off of an Atlas 10" or 12" might either fit or might be made to fit if the length is wrong.

The lead screw is 1.450" dia and not sure what pitch yet. Screw is fine just missing the half nut. The keyed shaft I was looking for was a .750 dia but I just made one yesterday.

OK. I thought that your original post had said that the riggers damaged the lead screw. I did think that 3/4" diameter was on the small size for over 7' of lead screw. And with a nearly 1-1/2" diameter lead screw, the Atlas threading dials are sure to me too short. But you can check what's on some of the 16" or 20" machines for near compatibility.

Not the lead screw, just a shaft that I'm not even sure what it controls

Back