New PM25 quill DRO shuts off after a few minutes

Damize

Registered
Registered
Is the quill dro supposed to shut off on its own? While using quill dro on my new PM25 the readout shuts off after approx 3 minutes. Changed the battery, read the instruction manual and it states Switch off DRO when not in use. Already emailed PM about it and stated it's normal. Anyone else have this problem? Thank you

Mine stays on, never shuts off on it's own. I have the 727M, it may be different.

Mine will stay on until the battery dies. Manufacturing date is may of 2017.

Thanks. I don't think it's normal to shut off. Would have bought a 3 axis dro for it instead of a two.

I have a PM-25MV with a factory 3-axis DRO.

I never use my quill DRO; I use the z-axis on the DRO because that has finer resolution. The resolution on the quill DRO is .0005”.

This has the additional benefit of being able to leave the quill locked & up almost all the way for better rigidity. I don’t mind cranking the z-axis handwheel.

It’s a March 2020 machine. Just timed it. It’s 5 minutes before it turns off. Whether or not I use it or not. Guess I’ll ask PM if I can get a new one that does not turn on off it’s own. Hopefully they will send a new one.

Last edited:
Just a question have put a new battery in it? when I had one in my PM932 during the winter and cold the shop it use up batteries faster than I could replace them. Now I have an igageing DRO in it that runs off a wall wart.
CH

I did try a new battery. Maybe i'll try another. Couldn't hurt. Thanks

Tried another new battery. Same problem. Thank you all for the input.

Just to close this one out. PM stated the following.

They are now made to shut off after 5 min. hitting any of the buttons before then will reset the timer and keep it awake. There isn't a way to change this. They did it to save battery power.

Back