New PM1236 getting setup

Bob S

Registered
Registered
I just got a PM1236 moved down to my basement after uncrating it and tearing it down into light enough pieces that would go down the stairs using four guys. That was last Saturdays project, now I'm re-assembling the pieces and will use an engine hoist to get it onto its stand. Re-wiring the various parts comes next week after I get back home from company training. Then I need to run the 220v to the shop and hopefully energize it for the first time. I will also have to align everything but that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I'm glad I found this forum with a specific PM group. I've read all the back threads and most of the questions I had we're answered here!

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the group in the future, I have a Tormach CNC mill also (great machine!) that I use for building custom robot parts. Mainly I'm working on a large hexapod, I'll post some photos later. In the past I've owned a ShopTask 3 in 1 which was good for the learning phase but I quickly outgrew it. The next tools were a Sherline mill and lathe when I was in between houses and needed something small. The mill got converted to CNC which extended it's usefulness until I got the Tormach. The lathe is still used but I can see it gathering dust with the mill shortly!

Bob S

Bob: Glad to hear of another PM1236 owner. I've had mine for a short while and am learning much from this forum. I hope you get yours running soon. I started with a G0602 (which I still have) and this is a real step up though I did love the G0602 as well.

Good luck with your PM1236

Bob F

My wife wants me to harass you for using 4 guys when we did it with two old people with bad backs. LOL Have fun!

Well, we did hand carry the parts down the stairs! Does that count?

It was fun tearing the lathe apart, it does allow me to clean it up well and get acquainted with the location of all the parts. I used the cell phone camera to photograph all the wires that were disconnected so hopefully I can get everything back on the right terminals!

Good luck! Moving big stuff -fun to think about -hard to do.

If you're not aware, please look in the PM1236 FAQ thread and find the user manual that we cobbled together It might be helpful...

Ray

Got the lathe on the stand now and bolted down. Alignment will have to wait a bit longer. I have to run 220 to the machine but the electric box is full. Got an auxiliary box to put up and power it through that. This will be the weekend project along with everything else on my wife's list!

Oh man, that's gotta suck... All set up and no way to plug it in. Enjoy the journey!

Got the lathe on the stand now and bolted down. Alignment will have to wait a bit longer. I have to run 220 to the machine but the electric box is full. Got an auxiliary box to put up and power it through that. This will be the weekend project along with everything else on my wife's list!

After discussions with friends I returned the aux electric box and two of the half height circuit breakers so I could free up the two spaces I needed. This turns out to be much faster than the original idea and I got power to the lathe late last night.

Initial power up was done referencing the excellent write up on this forum. The lights came on but the motor wouldn't run. I made a assumption that one of the various limit switches was having issues so multimeter in hand I proceeded to check each one out. I finally determined that the switch on the brake mechanism was not activating. A closer look showed that the lever on the micro switch was bent. Once it was bent back into place and power restored everything came to life! I ran through the gears to ensure everything was working correctly, no issues identified.

Today I'll complete the break in run and do a few test cuts to see how far out of alignment it is. I do have some small aluminum spacers to work on that alignment issues won't affect so time to put this machine to work!

Bob

The micro switch thing happens a lot. It's exposed at the bottom and it tends to get roughed up in shipping or while getting it off the pallet. Ask me how I know... I yanked a wire off mine when it caught on a splinter in the pallet.

Ray

After discussions with friends I returned the aux electric box and two of the half height circuit breakers so I could free up the two spaces I needed. This turns out to be much faster than the original idea and I got power to the lathe late last night.

Initial power up was done referencing the excellent write up on this forum. The lights came on but the motor wouldn't run. I made a assumption that one of the various limit switches was having issues so multimeter in hand I proceeded to check each one out. I finally determined that the switch on the brake mechanism was not activating. A closer look showed that the lever on the micro switch was bent. Once it was bent back into place and power restored everything came to life! I ran through the gears to ensure everything was working correctly, no issues identified.

Today I'll complete the break in run and do a few test cuts to see how far out of alignment it is. I do have some small aluminum spacers to work on that alignment issues won't affect so time to put this machine to work!

Bob

Back