New Old Continental Band Saw.............

very neat, that's a beautiful old saw. Great idea to use a treadmill motor and I don't think you'll have any problem with swarf - none of the ones on my lathe did and there were whole drifts of swarf back there occasionally. One thing to consider though is a jack shaft to lower the speed of the saw drive wheel. Treadmill motors are way fast, so do some calculations to see what speeds you'll get with a single belt off the motor and what size pulley you'll need on the drive wheel. If that won't get you low enough, you'll need a jack shaft. Eg. on my lathe I have a 3:1 reduction from motor to countershaft, then 1:2, 1:1 and 3:1 ratios to the spindle pulley. That gets me a low low speed of 100rpm and a high speed higher than I'd want to run (3000rpm plus).

I want to cover the bottom wheel for safety, but almost hate to because of the beautiful spokes.

-brino
Oh I so picture something Art Deco along the lines of the pattern of the guards on my old Atlas 7b......

I've got a thing for old saws. I envy your new acquisition. Just got a Millers Falls power hacksaw built sometime around the turn of the last century. It's apart now getting some new pieces (all manufactured in house of course).

Just got a Millers Falls power hacksaw built sometime around the turn of the last century. It's apart now getting some new pieces (all manufactured in house of course).

Would love to see some pictures of that!
I'm sure it deserves it's own rebuild thread.
-brino

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I get that...it would be a shame to make that beautiful saw look too industrial.
However, the expanded metal is cheap and available......I likely have enough on site to do it......

Beautiful saw sir.
Such styling.
I am green with envy.

Back