New New New...to Machining Metal

Bear

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired a Harbor Freight mini mill. I have wiped it down but haven't taken it appart. I have no clue what vise will work with what I am looking to do. I plan on doing a few 80% AR lowers. I really enjoy working with my hands. I have been using the drill press for a while but not getting nearly the results I'm looking for.

I have read article after article recommending a belt drive and digital readout for the mill. I am just happy as all getout that I have a mill even if it's not the best.

Now I don't have a decent vise. I have a dial indicator. What do I need to do before I start playing with metal?

Sorry, I'm pretty certain the mill is an X2 model.

Bear,
Welcome to HM!
You've entered a great place.
I don't know anything about AR Lowers. But, there are people here that do.
Nor do I know anything about mini mills.

Do you have your mill powered up?
Do you know how to lube her?
Does the spindle turn easily (machine off). Or are the belts to tight/loose?
Before you start purchasing anything work through the manual.
Know and understand how each dial and knob works.
Inventory your tooling and think about what your short and long term goals are.
Yes, those goals will evolve. But, based on what you currently know and believe take a careful assessment of where you are.

Consider checking back here frequently and update us. It's likely that someone has experience with both ARs and your mini!

Daryl
MN

Bear,
Welcome to HM!

Yes, those goals will evolve. But, based on what you currently know and believe take a careful assessment of where you are.

Consider checking back here frequently and update us. It's likely that someone has experience with both ARs and your mini!

Daryl
MN
Bear,
Welcome to HM!

Daryl
MN

Thanks for the welcome Daryl,

I have the mill mounted but haven't powered it up. As far as lubricating this machine, I am not sure what needs it other than gears and table. I have read that the mill should be disassembled, cleaned, and lubricated. White litium for the gears and motor oil for the table. Tooling I have a few 2flute endmill bits. I have a table vise for my drill press but I have the impression it isn't even close to accurate enough for milling.

I am super pumped about getting started. All the threads I have read are super informative.

Cheers,
Brian

Welcome aboard Bear,
Please send us some pictures of your mill, it will be easier to know what you might need.

I would have a look at Little Machine Shop for a vise and then follow with other tools as you need.
The other place to look is CDCO.
Welcome to the hobby.
Jim

Brian, somewhere along the line, you should pick up an optical tachometer, preferably on sale. When I started out in milling, I wrecked quite a few endmills by running them too fast for the materials and conditions. Once I could check the RPM, things improved a lot.

Hi Brian,

I have a similar model mill (SX2 - with the belt drive, but otherwise much the same). I bought a collet chuck to hold the mills (I use ER-32). I suggest you get something like that before you start milling. Lots of threads on here about not using a Jacobs chuck to hold mills. Also, get yourself a milling vice - a vice off a drill press is probably not going to hold the workpiece quite as well. A cheap set of parallels also come in handy (you can always upgrade later). Lastly, use cutting oil when you're milling. I wore out a few mills when I started and the advice on here was to do just that. Mills have been staying sharp much longer now.

Whilst you're waiting for the bits to arrive make sure the table dovetails are cleaned and lubed and well adjusted. Mine came with a banana shaped gib which was impossible to adjust over the full travel so one of the first tasks for my mill was to make a better one.

Rob

Bear,
Do you have a collet system?
Looks like there is a drill chuck on her.
Drill chucks are great for downward pressure like drills.
Not usually for lateral pressures like end mills.

Please show us you DP vise. Occasionally people end up mounting mill vises to DP.
It may actually be a high end vise.

Daryl
MN

Back