New milling machine vise

The height is something to keep in mind when vise shopping- It's difficult to find low profile vises, especially swivel types (which I like)

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers.

So this models you recommend me has very low jaw lift?

Thank you

Yes, the mill vise suggested above by Mr Whoopee has near-zero jaw lift by design. The China import "Kurt style" vises are actually decent for smaller home shop mills. There is more to loading a part than dropping it in and torqueing the handle, as anyone's first 1,000 hours in a machine shop will reveal, but having the right stuff is a good start. I'm picky and particular, but I like the performance I've gotten out of my 5" Shars. People say the same about the 4" version here. I think most of the European importers of Chinese tools (Optimum, Holzmann, Bernardo, what have you) pull from the same lots as PM and Shars. Nothing is regionally unique anymore.

Yes, the mill vise suggested above by Mr Whoopee has near-zero jaw lift by design. The China import "Kurt style" vises are actually decent for smaller home shop mills. There is more to loading a part than dropping it in and torqueing the handle, as anyone's first 1,000 hours in a machine shop will reveal, but having the right stuff is a good start. I'm picky and particular, but I like the performance I've gotten out of my 5" Shars. People say the same about the 4" version here. I think most of the Europe

an importers of Chinese tools (Optimum, Holzmann, Bernardo, what have you) pull from the same lots as PM and Shars. Nothing is regionally unique anymore.
Thanks for your answer.

So, something like this?

https://www.amazon.es/VEVOR-Precisión-Fresadoras-Taladradoras-Accesorios/dp/B08PB3F3YL

That would be perfectly suitable for a mini mil, both in quality and size.

Alberto take a look at the vise photo that Mr woopsie posted. You will see that the screw sits below the movable jaw, unlike your current vise where the screw is at the same level as the movable jaw. This is one of the ways you can tell that the vise is the angle lock version and minimizes jaw lift

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Back