New milling machine vise

Alberto-sp

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello. I own a mini mill. I don´t make brain surgery on it, but the vise I own is not very precise. Is this, and the jaw lift a lot when I tight it

So I´m thinking about buying one like this

Do you think is a good choice?

I choose this model because I think is more precise, but you are the experts and I appreciate your advice. It has to be around 3" wide and the cost around 100$

Thank you

Best regards

The lower picture is of a toolmakers vise not a milling vise. Although, It could be used to mill it might not be as convenient to use.

Stefan Gotteswinter also uses that style of vise on his mill. Seems to work fine for him.

Thanks for your answers

Ok, and to use in a mini mill, what kind of vise is recomended that the jaw lift is low or almost inexistent?

I thought about the toolmakers screwless because the no jaw lift, but is will be a PITA to fix to the milling table. If there is another good option I´d prefer that.

I don't have a mini mill but I'm very happy with my Glacern 4" vise on my mill which has a 9x30 table.
One challenge with the smaller mill is the loss of Z-height from a tall vise. And the table is not very deep so a large vise tends to extend over the front of the table and obstruct the Y axis handwheel.
Not sure what access to machine tools is like for you in Spain. What outlets do you have? Is mail order a viable option?

That is a cool mini vice.
Anybody have one?
I think a pair of those for my BP might be very handy.

That is a cool mini vice.
Anybody have one?
I think a pair of those for my BP might be very handy.
I have one for my mini mill and have very happy with it. As stated in the description, it is built like a Kurt vise so the moving jaw exerts down force when tightened. You can also move the jaws to the ends and hold material up to 8” “deep.” I made a set of tall jaws from 1-1/2” x 1/2” precision ground A36 low carbon steel. I also added shim washers to the shaft on either side of the handle-end support so the shaft & retaining collar don’t rub against the (machined) casting.

As noted in another reply, the mini mill has limited vertical clearance, even with the 2” riser, so I seldom (never have?) used the swivel base.

You should check with LMS to see how close to a matched pair they can supply. For a BP you would probably be better off with a matched pair of 4” or 5” Shars mill vises (see Clough42’s latetest video:
).

Back