New Mill Today!

Travis7s

Active User
Registered
Picked this up today at a really good price, very excited to try it out compared to my X2 mini mill. The guy I bought it from described what sounded like a G0704, so I was a little surprised at how big it was. Luckily he had a forklift and one of my neighours had his skid steer available.

I think its just a generic RF-31, its branded as a Frejoth Morgon.

A1RtsNb.jpg

m7FgSIl.jpg

That's really neat, I've never seen one built quite like that.

Congratulations! what a great find, and at a "really good price" that's very unusual.

-brino

Congrats on the new machine! Does it use the same spindle mount as your X2? Would be cool if all your tooling worked on both machines.

GG

That's really neat, I've never seen one built quite like that.

Congratulations! what a great find, and at a "really good price" that's very unusual.

-brino

What difference do you notice? I see a few small things like hand wheel design.

Machines a few and far between here in SK. Usually people either want what they paid, or the thing has been sitting outside for years. In this case I paid $750CAD for the mill, stand, vice (I think it it bigger than the one that comes standard) and a few other tooling odds and ends, nothing major.

I'm not sure what taper it uses, the manual lists both MT# and R8 so I will have to see tomorrow. (my X2 is MT3)

HiTravis7s,

Note: this is coming from a guy that never heard of that machine name before. I`m only able to compare it to a shallow survey of bench-top vertical mills I`ve seen.

The differences I noticed immediately was just the size/scale. It seems much more stout, heavy and robust than most you could get new today. The ways look heavier, the base and table thicker, the vertical column is heavier, the belt cover looks cast not sheet metal.

..and wow! a great price too.

A wonderful find.
-brino

Ah yes, it does seem to be thicker in places. The user manual actually lists it 100lbs heavier than the Rong-Fu website version do. The belt cover is actually plastic though.

Moved it into place, that was hard by myself. (I need to find some friends!)

Wired up a new 230V receptacle for it and spun it up for the first time, very exciting. Now I just need to wait for my tooling order from Amazon to come. (Amazon.ca actually stocks quite a bit of Grizzly products, that way I can get fast free shipping without any customs fees!)

JFiotDD.jpg

Last edited:
750 ain't too bad, I think those are a few grand new. Where I live there is almost no machines available to buy, I ended up getting a vertical knee Mill shipped to Alaska from ohio, freight was more than I paid for the mill, but I got a smokin deal on the mill. Good luck with it.

750 ain't too bad, I think those are a few grand new. Where I live there is almost no machines available to buy, I ended up getting a vertical knee Mill shipped to Alaska from ohio, freight was more than I paid for the mill, but I got a smokin deal on the mill. Good luck with it.

$750 is very good for my location. Thats like $45 USD. A new one from a Canadian distributor is $2400. Not very machines turn up on classifieds here, and when they do it seems like people want what they paid or the price is right but the machine has been out in the rain for a year.

Back