New mill disappointment

Jeephead

Registered
Registered
Wanted a Griz G0755 mill, ordered but was told out till Mid October or so. I need to start on projects and the snow can fly by end of Oct. complicating delivery. I had to cancel. The question is what are comparable units? I know there are those of you who know each and every new machine, want to share your advice? Thanks in advance for your time.

Check out the G704. It may be a bit smaller, but is well reviewed. There are other RF-45 clones like the one Ray linked too as well. If you have the room for a full size machine, then what Senna says is true; i got my bridgeport clone for $1300. Of course, if you are going to do a CNC conversion, I would recommend a square column mill like one of the RF-45 clones. As I go through my conversion, I realize that things would have been much easier if I had gone in that direction...

I agree. If you have the room, go with full size mill. I started with a bench top, and eventually got tired of it being too small. I finally moved to a bridgeport with phase convertor.
Ron

I agree. If you have the room, go with full size mill. I started with a bench top, and eventually got tired of it being too small. I finally moved to a bridgeport with phase convertor.
Ron

I would too but due to space restrictions and having to move in a few years, I am going with a smaller machine for now. After I retire.....

Initially, I wanted to go with a full size BP (or the equivalent) but space was working against me. Also, I looked at quite a few machines and all of them were going to need a full disassembly, bearings, scraping, motors etc... Replacement bearings on a BP were running $650 and most of the machines I was looking at were 2000-$3000... Finally, I threw in the towel and settled on more reasonably sized new machine. Yes, a little more expensive (but not by much) and they had the advantage of being ready to go the minute they were set in place and plugged in... My first lathe in recent times was old and pretty worn and I spent more time working on it than with it and spent about $1000 along the way.

I totally appreciate the work done to properly refurbish a machine and think it's both art and science but, to do it properly, it takes time, tools and knowledge -none of which were in abudance at the time. Different strokes for different folks -and I don't think theres a "right" or "wrong" approach -provided you know what you're getting into and why.

Ray

Jeephead is 21 mile NE of Roseburg Oregon. That is a used machine desert. He could be years trying to find a used mill at a good price.

Dave

Jeephead is 21 mile NE of Roseburg Oregon. That is a used machine desert. He could be years trying to find a used mill at a good price.

Dave
I am actually 59 miles east of Roseburg, wow actually doing research for me, thanks. Yes, a machine desert unless you want a lumber mill sell out. All too big so far. Leaning towards the PM 932 or 45 right now, depending on availability.

I would too but due to space restrictions and having to move in a few years, I am going with a smaller machine for now. After I retire.....

I learned on a Clausing 6 x 24 bench top mill my dad still uses that mill, I now have two Bridgeports, one small bed and one large bed. As far as moving them I moved my large bed about #2500 and a 618 Micromaster Surface Grinder about #3500 (was full of hyd. oil) in a trailer from Buffalo, NY to Jefferson City, TN with out a problem, just strap them in well and brace if you can.

After all the input and some phone calls, I was able to order a PM 932m-PDF, it has shipped already and should be here end of the week all the way across the country. Matt got it out right away and now I await the new machine. Thanks everybody for your help. The info I get here is as they say " priceless".

Back