New member working on a Southbend 13"

It was the more modern font of the gearbox threading chart that gave it away :)
I didn’t even think of that.. Also not pictured Are a lot of collets stamped made in Germany but also stamped S.B.L. .. figured that was more likely to lean toward a later date

The bed cross webbing points to the later years. Does the bed have a "Flame Hardened" tag?

Yes, I see that it does. Dates the lathe to post 1958-ish.

Thanks, is it just the hex screw directly below the oiler?

Yes, that's it.

Before you get going in your tear down, get the book A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe Models 10L - 13" - 14 ½" - 16" by Ilion Industrial Services on ebay. You might also want to pick up their rebuild kit.

The book gives you valuable insight on exactly how to tear down your lathe. The rebuild kit gives you the consumables you will also need.

Thanks, yeah I actually ordered that rebuild kit and manual on Sunday because it has the replacement washer for the tailstock.. it should be here Saturday. My tailstock was bound up when I got it and that washer was disintegrated.. Took a week of soaking in oil and gently persuading it to pop free. And I found the thrust bearing for the cross slide here, MSC - Crossfeed thrust bearing... all the ones on ebay were waaay too high, I added a gallon of way oil to average down the shipping costs, because they wanted $12 to ship a bearing.

SN: 15385T, This is a 1976 S series lathe, the "T" in the serial number is for 13-inch.
N-K-R-T-F-H
9(N)-10K(K)-10L&R(R)-13L&R(T)-14-1/2(F)-16(H)

The T series lathes had the older total loss top-oiling headstock.

"Does anyone know the correct size oilers for the gear box? mine are completely smashed in there and I'd love to buy some new ones to replace them with before I pull them out."

SBL-155x20
Gits 501 - Beaded Drive in, Style G – Steel, Trivalent Zinc Plating

--Drive-In Hole Diameter--Drive Diameter--Drive Length--Overall Height--Assembly Clearance--Item #
--------------------------------Min--Max--
----------1/4------------------.253--.255--------5/32-----------13/32----------------11/16----------00501

Steve

That's wrong, I looked in the older parts manual, I believe it might a Gits 330.
Let me look it up again,

Steve

Back