New member, new (to me) mill

Tools40

Registered
Registered
New here, and I'm hoping to learn a lot. I would consider myself less than an amateur. I've had a few old machines for years, and have done a very limited amount of work with them. I just bought a Tree 2VG mill that's in really nice shape. Hooked it up to my RPC last evening, and it runs great. I think I paid enough for it ($1700), but it was close to home, came with a full set of collets, a decent batch of tooling, and 2 vices. I haven't figured out all of the controls yet, but I'll get there. Any advice is appreciated. I'll scan the forums, and see what I can learn. Thanks!

Attachments

• tree 1.jpg
    tree 1.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 53
Welcome! I've always wanted a big mill, but I don't have anywhere to put it. We all started somewhere, so I know you'll figure out how to work it.

What got you interested in old machines? What other hobbies do you subscribe to?

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Looks very solid, there is a bunch of information on that mill stored on this website that you can download (see link below). Make sure the RPC wild leg is not connected to the transformer as it can cause the contactors to drop out with voltage fluctuations.

New here, and I'm hoping to learn a lot. I would consider myself less than an amateur. I've had a few old machines for years, and have done a very limited amount of work with them. I just bought a Tree 2VG mill that's in really nice shape. Hooked it up to my RPC last evening, and it runs great. I think I paid enough for it ($1700), but it was close to home, came with a full set of collets, a decent batch of tooling, and 2 vices. I haven't figured out all of the controls yet, but I'll get there. Any advice is appreciated. I'll scan the forums, and see what I can learn. Thanks!
Hello and welcome.

That looks like a very stout machine, unlikely you’re outgrowing it any time soon.

The documents referenced above do require a membership, $10/yr but pretty sure you’ll find it worthwhile.

Info is here

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your first chips.

John

You picked a excellent machine, and if it’s in good shape you got a great deal. When I was outfitting my shop I wanted a Tree 2UVR. We had several 2UVR’s and2GV’s at work and I loved them. I looked for over 2 years for one at a reasonable price score I finally gave up and settled on a Bridgeport. The only downside of Tree machines is that tooling is less plentiful and therefore more expensive.

Last edited:
Welcome! I've always wanted a big mill, but I don't have anywhere to put it. We all started somewhere, so I know you'll figure out how to work it.

What got you interested in old machines? What other hobbies do you subscribe to?

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
Yeah, it's not being much of a challenge to operate. Just had to look it over closely, and I downloaded the instructions.

As far as my interests, metalworking in general has always been fun for me, although I don't do a lot of it. I'm into tractor pulling (mostly antiques), drag racing '60s cars, and old cars in general. I didn't really "need" this mill. I just wanted a good one to play with! It will come in handy when for making parts for my hobbies. Thanks for the response!

Looks very solid, there is a bunch of information on that mill stored on this website that you can download (see link below). Make sure the RPC wild leg is not connected to the transformer as it can cause the contactors to drop out with voltage fluctuations.
I do subscribe to that page, and I printed some of the documents. There's more thee than I expected! Thanks for the tips, and the response!

Back