New lathe-stand idea

For short term just use dimensional lumber and build it well.

For the top use well braced sub surface with proper support where load goes then place a cover layer of the coated white stuff as it is resistant to oil spill and easy to maintaim.

2 X 4 and 2 X 6 are plenty strong for this application if properly done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

That is exactly what I did. 2x6 frame with squash blocks under point loads. Two layers of 3/4 white melamine for a smooth surface easy to clean. And the product is actually quiet strong.
It's easily holding my 600lbs lathe. I can build shelves or drawers under it too if I feel ambitious.

I can't mess with the floor because we rent. I'm in the military and learned my lesson on trying to buy and sell a house inside of three years.

I'm not saying it doesn't work fine, but wood does not appeal to me at all. I know there are many different kinds of stands that will work, I was just curious if there were any reasons that concrete wouldn't work well.

Thanks everybody

How about cement block? You could fill them with sand if you want to dampen vibration even more.

My Griz sits on a stand made of 4 x 4s /2 x 4s and the shell is the plywood of the crate it came in. Not fancy, but functional. 600lb is pretty solid on it.

Assume the cylinder is 1 ft id and 3 feet tall, its volume is 3.14 x r^2 x h.
3.14 x .5^2 x 3 = 2.35 cubic ft.
For 4 columns. 4 x 2.35 = 9.42 cubic ft.
That's a little over a third of a cubic yard. I would rather use 4 x 4 pine.

Back