New lathe owner question about tool bits

Mick

Registered
Registered
Hello All,

Hope someone will be kind enough to educate me about a set of tool bits that was included with the 7x14 mini-lathe that I bought in a govt surplus auction. This is my first lathe and I am looking forward to making some ('swarf' ?).
THere are 11 tool-bits and it looks like the set that Micro-Mark sells. Each bit has a stamped number.
I have uploaded a picture that I hope will show up in this post.
I think I have identified three of the bits from reading various on-line beginners lathe operations articles:
#4971 = right-hand turning ?
#4975 = thread cutting ?
#4981 = cut-off tool ?

Thanks for the help !

Mike in Chesapeake, VA

SANY0009.JPG

Congrats on your lathe. I'm a mini-lathe owner myself and have had lots of fun with it. I'm no expert on tool bits, but these appear to be the ones with the carbide tips brazed onto them. Your identification appears to be correct. There are also a couple of boring bars in the set (4973, 4974). These are fine for getting started, but it's also fun to grind your own tool bits once you get some experience. What other kind of tooling/accessories came with the lathe?

Allen

The far left I can't see verywell but it might be internal threading tool 4975 is a style E(usedin threading but also for other uses) 4976 is a style C used for plug turnning, chamfering. 4981 can also be used for groving (think E climpsand O rings).4980,4978,4977 are right turning tools. The other 4980 is a left turning. not sure on the rest. any. questions on this just post back at me or any of us.

Hello All,

Hope someone will be kind enough to educate me about a set of tool bits that was included with the X mini-lathe that I bought in a govt surplus auction. This is my first lathe and I am looking forward to making some ('swarf' ?).
There are 11 tool-bits and it looks like the set that Micro-Mark sells. Each bit has a stamped number.
I have uploaded a picture that I hope will show up in this post.
I think I have identified three of the bits from reading various on-line beginners lathe operations articles:
#4971 = right-hand turning ?
#4975 = thread cutting ?
#4981 = cut-off tool ?

Thanks for the help !

Mike in Chesapeake, VA

Nice set of tool bits. You are going to need a tool grinder after awhile to resharpen the carbide. They do last a lot longer than HHS. But all bits need a touch up now and then.

Back