new lathe or rebuilt one?

Here is my before and after of my first lathe: Purchased a 1945 non running South Bend 9A ($400) with 7 missing teeth on the bull gear and zero teeth of the backgear and a worn worm gear that made the power feed slip. Total cost to repair - about 100 hours of sweat equity and $18 which was the price of a used worm gear. I made/repaired the other gears from scrap material. No prior experience, all info gathered browsing forums like this.

$before.jpg $after.jpg

Sorry for my absence. Illness crept up on me and I've been out of commission for a little over a week so not only has the lathe not been touched, I haven't replied to the many great posts you've all made. Thank you for taking the time to write everything you've shared with me. I'm both encouraged and intimidated at the same time by the many posts several of you have made about never having had previous experience rebuilding a machine yet you have share pictures that attest to what can be done with some determination. I'm still extremely intimidated and feel I don't know where to begin but I've met a gentleman at the community college that teaches machining classes and it looks like he may help me. Between him and all of you, I might be able to pull this off. I was tempted to take the easy way out and simply throw money at the problem and buy a new lathe, but as almost all of you said, I'll undoubtedly learn a lot more about the machine if I build it myself. I'll also enjoy thinking of Mr. Fears every time I use it and the numerous things he taught me.

I'm going to try to attach pictures for the first time. If they don't appear, would someone let me know that I failed to do it correctly? These were taken before I began tearing everything down. I've now stripped it down as much as I possibly can and am currently simply cleaning parts. There is no motor, motor mount or shroud for the motor. As far as anything else that's missing, I'm not sure what should have been there in the first place so I'm afraid I can't tell. I did order the manual from Logan Actuator and have started to read it so hopefully this will help some.

DSC00351.JPGDSC00354.JPGDSC00355.JPGDSC00356.JPGDSC00362.JPG

DSC00351.JPG DSC00354.JPG DSC00355.JPG DSC00356.JPG DSC00362.JPG

That's not a bad looking machine. As you say, it's missing some parts, but they are available. I like the cross slide handle. a few pics of it and the bed in front of the headstock would be nice. Does the spindle turn smooth? Good luck, You will enjoy it!

Stan!
http://www.toolfools.com/forum

WOW, That looks much better than you described initially. Unless there is a major problem you will be able to get it in working order without much effort. I do not see a backgear shaft, maybe with some loose parts? You can still use it without the back gear. Do you have the change gears?

Without the countershaft and motor, you might consider going straight to a VFD or if funds are tight, just get a used 1/2HP 1725rpm motor (~$20) and rig up something to get started. The VFD will pretty much eliminate the need for a backgear as well, except it won't have as much torque.

Wow you lucky duck. I would keep, and have, that lil doggy running in less than two weeks. Make sure the first thing you turn, you take and put next to your benefactor's headstone. No biggee if it is removed, He will see it. Cool score:thumbsup:
We out and putting stock inna chuck!

Metal Novice,
You will do just fine. That lathe doesn't look too bad and it may be a lot easier than you think. Don't be afraid of it, we will all be here to help you if you get in a jamb. If it is worn on the ways Rich can get you hooked up on scraping, and Bill or one of the other really smart lathe guys will guide you in getting started. Unfortunately I am still a beginner too, but if I can help I definitely will also. Just take one step at a time and use your camera when you take things apart so you will have a road map to put it back together later. My memory used to be pretty good, but the camera trick has saved my bacon a few times and if they are digital they are even free. Welcome to the gang and don't be afraid to jump in wherever you wish and become a regular part of the gang as soon as possible..

Bob

Take detailed pictures of all assembelys, and if you need to take pictures of each part as you remove parts from them. then you have a "slide show" on how to put them back together. Put the parts to each assembely in labeled freezer bags (gallon size) and then keep them all together in boxes. Ask questions. Dont be afraid. Have fun.

Yes, take lots of pictures! It looks like the back gear is there to me, I can see it under the spindle in the third picture. The shifter is there too, Mine was broken. Yours is very similar to my 820, except mine has a gearbox. And like they say, take plenty of detailed pictures for yourself to aid in assembly! As far as a motor, I put a 3/4 hp sewing machine motor on mine. $105 delivered, new, infinatly variable speed, 0 - 3600 and reverse. Set up a search on ebay for parts, you can get this done! The fun is just beginning!

STAN!
http://www.toolfools.com/forum

Back