New lathe oil question

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, But if the manufacturer calls for ISO 68 Circulating oil, Or whatever viscosity, Why would you put some hydraulic oil in your machine just to save some money? There are additives in the circulating oil for high bearing loads which is what you are going to get at the spindle.

ah... sore subject. right now im reading through the grizzly manuals.. im just wondering if the local iso32 molly hydraulic oil is the same as what is called out in pretty much every manual i have read so far, i can in fact order and pay shipping for 350$ bucket of oil from them or pay a hundo at a local place for what looks like the same stuff without the grizzly logo on it...

Attachments

• grizzly oil reccomendation.png
    grizzly oil reccomendation.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 7
Commenting to come back to this thread as a newbie trying to get into the hobby. Cheers!

ah... sore subject. right now im reading through the grizzly manuals.. im just wondering if the local iso32 molly hydraulic oil is the same as what is called out in pretty much every manual i have read so far, i can in fact order and pay shipping for 350$ bucket of oil from them or pay a hundo at a local place for what looks like the same stuff without the grizzly logo on it...
Moly-D is very good stuff, Grizzly calls their oils "Machine Oils" in the manuals.

I would put what they recommend in the machine.

The Lathe, The bearings and the oils have all been designed by engineers. I would use what the mfg. calls for in the manual.

Lathes are not considered high bearing loads, in particular with smaller lathes, same goes for the gears. At the end of the day for these type of machines it is more systematics of using hydraulic oil vs. circulating oil. Same goes for way oil, I actually have never seen anybody use molly way oil and it would be quite a mess to use. These are light duty lathes, dancing around which oil or brand you want to use makes little difference providing you use the right ISO and change you oil on a regular bases. Q.E.D.

I would not use that oil on the ways, But the headstock would benefit from Moly-D for sure.

A lot of people don't use way oil and use whatever, There is a lot of downward force on the saddle when you are taking a cut. People get away with it because they are taking light cuts. But chatter and finish problems and wear can happen when a good way oil is not used, Mostly when taking heavy cuts.

When I started adding moly to my cutting oil for chamber reaming it made a huge difference in the ease of cutting and the number of chambers that could be cut before the reamer became dull.

I have a few thoughts about machines and gear box oil. My background is in power plants. I’ve worked on quite a few different gear boxes through the years and have also worked on lathes and other machine tools. I’m not an expert - just a long term user. I recommend sticking with the manufacturer’s recommendation on oil, but there are reasons to make deviations such as is your shop climate control, or do you have wide swings in temperature across the seasons. You may want to consider viscosity or even changing to a synthetic.

I currently have seven lathes in the shop, and this is how I divide them up when it comes to oils. I use the appropriate Mobil DTE R&O oil in a machine that runs an internal clutch, internal brake, and pressurized lubrication with or without a filter. These machines benefit from more frequent oil changes as opposed to using a more expensive synthetic oil, for example. The oil gets darker quicker. Additionally, synthetics can cause slipping in internal wet clutches and brakes.

If I were running a small 16” or under Asian lathe, I would initially pull the headstock cover, inspect for cleanliness or any debris. If any found, I would drain the oil. Then I would build a vacuum hose by taking a 1/2” clear plastic hose with an 1/8” bare welding rod down the middle of it (to hold it straight) and duct tape it to a shop vac hose leaving the nozzle partially open so as to not overheat the shop vac. I’d use this to vacuum out the remaining oil and debris from the bottom of the headstock. Next refill it with the appropriate weight AW-hydraulic oil. This stuff tends to clean a little better than the R&O type. Run that for about 10 hours, drain it, inspect and vacuum again if needed. Refill with the same oil and double the drain interval and inspect and repeat the vacuuming if needed.

After this I would drain it and switch to a Mobil or equivalent SHC synthetic oil of the appropriate weight. This oil will reduce friction and temperature which is good in a headstock. Many of these small lathes use undersized gears and bearings. This oil will help extend the life of these components and keep the headstock a little quieter longer. And because the headstock is now clean, the oil change intervals can be quite long.

For way oil I prefer Schaeffer molly lube 160 in ISO 68 and 100, depending on the machine. This oil has molybdenum as well as the original tackifiers that were often specified for manual machines. I’ve used this oil for at least 20 years or more. You can change to this oil and physically feel a difference in the reduction of friction in the machine versus with Mobil Vactra way oil. This oil is expensive but as someone who has rebuilt machines it is far cheaper than rebuilding.

I also use Mobil Vacuoline 1405 in the Moore jig bore, Moore rotary table and a surface grinder. This oil has some of the qualities of both hydraulic oil and circulation oil. Equipment of this type often has very close tolerances and this oil can reduce pump pressure to their precision surfaces. This oil has tackifiers and a little finer viscosity, so it flows a little quicker in these types of machines.

In this thread we're talking about machines that often come from the same exact factories, or at least are the same design with the same style bearings, and the companies don't all recommend the same lubricants, so the whole "it was designed by engineers" thing goes out the window. The idea that Precision Matthews lists a circulating oil (even though an owner here said a phone call had them saying to use hydraulic oil) but an Eisen of the same basic design specifies a hydraulic oil tells me a lot...it clearly isn't that critical. I'd be willing to bet some companies just specify something they know is overkill to be on the safe side.

With that said, the PM oil they sell appears to meet a lot of specifications and isn't ridiculously priced compared to some similar oils, so it wouldn't bother me to buy enough for the first oil change from them if I was ordering a new machine...which I may be in a year or so.

this thread is quite timely for me. just got a new (to me) Japanese made 14x60. for oiling the headstock gears/spindle bearings and the feed gearbox, there is a Trochoid oil pump driven by the shaft of an idler pulley that tensions the 4 drive belts. there is an oil filter between the tank and pump. this pump pulls oil from a large oil tank at the bottom of the headstock foot and pumps it up to the headstock and into the feed gearbox, thru small tubes to a lot of oiling points. oil is returned from the headstock to the oil tank thru gravity and a large tube, to be recirculated. not an oil splash system.

the 1967 operator's manual specified Shell Tellus oil No. 15. of course, no longer available. Shell still makes a Tellus line but not this item. I think the Tellus No. 15 was SAE 15wt. assume the low viscosity is to get the fluid thru all the small tubing to where it needs to spray. I found a chart that says ISO 32 is equal to SAE 15wt. some of the cross overs I found for the manufacturers spec are Mobil DTE 10 excel 15 and Gulf Harmony AW MF15. the DTE is about 165.00 and the Gulf is 60-70.00 for 5 gallons. any opinions?

PXL_20240506_154115128.MP.jpgPXL_20240506_154050115.MP.jpgPXL_20240506_154238614.MP.jpg

Back