New Jacobs Super chucks?

gi_984

Active User
Registered
Anybody order a new Jacobs Super chuck lately from Enco or elsewhere? I need to order a new 16N or similar for my Solberga drill press. The last Jacobs chuck I ordered last year from Enco was made in China. It was a JT33 taper and wouldn't hold a drill worth a damn. Enco let me return it for refund without a fuss. I'm hoping the Super chucks are still made well.

I've looked on e-bay and craigslist for one in very good condition but frustrated that all I find seem to be well worn. And I'm not willing to gamble on a used one of unknown condition with no warranty.

I would consider purchasing a used one if the price was right and rebuilding it. I would guess that parts availability would be NOS, possibly still domestic.

Super chucks use ball bearings internally,and can be tightened tighter than a regular chuck. But,many other factors,such as the quality of the metal in the chuck will very much affect gripping power. There is also the matter of getting a Chinese chuck that runs true.

When I bought a Delta variable speed drill press several years ago,it came with the same LOOKING chuck that my 1963 Craftsman drill press has: A safety collar equipped Jacobs TYPE chuck. It did not run true. I had to order a new Jacobs brand chuck of the same style. It did run true. Oh,I recall the Delta's chuck did spin on drill shanks and mess them up. My old 1963 Jacobs chuck still grips fine and runs quite true.

Unfortunately,I can't recall if the new Jacobs chuck I bought was made in China at that time. I agree with Tony-try to find a decent used USA Jacobs chuck.

AFAIK all Jacobs manufacturing has been move to China since being aquired by the Apex Tools Group including tbe super BB chucks. At the time of transitioning to offshore the chucks just read "Jacobs USA" on them which is misleading. Unsure if all those labeled "Jacobs USA" were made in the US or China, but I hear it's probably both.

I purchased 3 14Ns off ebay for a total of $125, all in great condition & from different sellers. When searching I made sure I was getting the ones that say "Made in Hartford CT" on them & not "Jacobs USA".

OTOH, Rohm makes some nice chucks but pay attention on which ones as some of the cheaper ones are made in Asia. Accupro (a MSC brand) makes Jacobs ball bearing chuck clones, not sure where they are made, but they look nice.

I have considered rebuilding one but I am not sure what the rebuild kit number is for them(old US made). I guess I can call Jacobs and see if they can tell me what the correct kit number is for the older chucks.

I purchased a new 14N Super Chuck about a year ago from Rex Supply. The runout was not too good, and usually not repeatable. I traded it for another new one, same thing. Rex told me they were getting a lot of returns on the Super chucks made in China. They searched the other stores inventory to find a US made one but no joy. Suggesed trying a Rohm which I did and it is much better.

Bob

Anybody order a new Jacobs Super chuck lately from Enco or elsewhere? I need to order a new 16N or similar for my Solberga drill press. The last Jacobs chuck I ordered last year from Enco was made in China. It was a JT33 taper and wouldn't hold a drill worth a damn. Enco let me return it for refund without a fuss. I'm hoping the Super chucks are still made well.

I've looked on e-bay and craigslist for one in very good condition but frustrated that all I find seem to be well worn. And I'm not willing to gamble on a used one of unknown condition with no warranty.
Say it ain’t so!
Jacob’s had the world in their hands. I only have made in USA Jacob’s Super Chucks.
I was not aware they had tasted the kool-aid.
What a shame.

Back