new import or used name brand? Gage Blocks

knifer-one

Active User
Registered
My question concerning gage blocks or jo blocks.
In a home/hobby shop enviroment,which would be best? A used set of Mitutoyo,B&S,Starrett,etc. at around 200 bucks(if I am lucky), or a cheap import set new at around 75 bucks ?

I use a cheap, imported set in my shop. They get beat up quite a bit in the shop environment so it doesn't make much sense to spend a lot on them. If you do use a cheap set, I would recommend checking them before you rely on them by comparing them to each other using a dial test indicator and your surface plate...just to be sure they are what they say.

Unless you know their history, used gauge blocks are rarely a good idea.

Tom

For the average home shop, cheap imports will probably be good enough. I agree with TomG, unless you can get a used set re-certified, they aren't of much use. Though having said that, even if they were worn by as much as half a thou, they would probably still be good enough. Unless you are doing a lot of high precision grinding, gage blocks with an accuracy of .0005 will likely work fine.

Sandro Di Filippo

Be careful to not knock them about. Cheap sets may have very shallow case hardening. Otherwise,check their accuracy and squareness with decent squares and mikes.

Looks like the 75 dollar Shars set is what I will go with. Thanks for the help.

Back