New guy with a new lathe

dennis98277

Active User
Registered
hi guys i am new to maching and just aquired me a craftsman 109. 21270 and i was wanting to know what tooling and accessorys i can get for these new toy. i looked on ebay and there wasnt much and i have the master enco catalog but i dont know enough about machining so i am looking for any help. to give info on what i will be using it for is gunsmith related so steel and aluminun is what i will be cutting. thanks in advance dennis :)

Welcome. I will start with some basic stuff and others will add to this list.

I would start with getting either Southbends How to run a Lathe Manual, and /or Atlas manual (new from Clausings, cheaper then ebay), some sort of machinist text book that the local school might be using. This will give you a starting point and reference. Machinery's Handbook, any edition from let say 1940s to somewhere in the 80s. Used book store again will be the place to look for, either online or store.

Tools wise. Micrometer, vernier, scales, loupe (magnifier), HSS tool bits ( ignore the carbide stuff and inserts for the moment), dial indicator and base, feeler gauges to help setup the tool height, some good grinding wheels and bench grinder (used to sharpen the HSS tools) a full set of drill bits (preferably US made or better quality imports), Imperial and metric taps and dies will be required in the future. There is a topic covering the tooling requirements here, may have to search for it.

Watch Mr Pete YouTube videos, they are an excellent resource.

thanks for the input i will look for the books. i am mainly concerened with what my paticular lathe can use tool wise. since it is a small lathe just not forsure what to get.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/51-Some-Useful-Lathe-Tools

The topic here is pretty general but a good list. Note that tooling can cost as much and more than the machine! The tool required will be dictated by the job. And you will almost never have that tool until a few yrs down the road as you pick them up as needed. Get the NRA Gunsmithing Guide, I think that's what it is called.

What do you have?

3 or 4 jaw chucks?
Lantern, rocker washer style tool post or something else?
Change gears for different threads?
Steady and follower rests?
Dead center and " live" center?
Drill chuck to fit tail stock?

Your lathe is too flexible to use carbide bits or inserts, that is why I said to look at HSS tool bits. They come in 1/8" to 1" square stock of differing lengths. You likely will use 1/4" or 3/8" tool bits. They do not come sharpened therefore a grinder with good wheels is required.

Have to go getting late.
Pierre

yeah just the holder that came with it and a three jaw and it came with gears. i will take a lot of pics this weekend and postthem that should help to show what i have. thanks guys for the advise and forgive me for stupid questions that you all probally get a lot :) so here is another one, hss is that a brand or tool description? mine lathe came with a couple of items that i beleive are cutters they are about 3" long and are a square 1/4" i think.

HSS refers to the type of material the bits are made from. HSS is high speed steel,the same material most drill bits are made from.

Welcome to the group Dennis,
Looks like you have a great start with your machine. As others have indicated you should really read the available books on tooling and various methods for sharpening different material bits. There is a plethora of available tooling most of what you will need is based on the job you are trying to do at the moment. There are soooooo many ways to skin this cat that it will be nearly impossible to discuss all the posibilities, but there are a few simple rules that once learned will stick with you and serve you well for your entire machining career. First and foremost is always , always, always be safety concious. One mistake or lapse of judgement cn be life altering. I would have a look at the MrPete222 series on You Tube for a quick overview of the tools and options available there. Those vids are arguably the best around, since there is a kind of shortage of high quality how-to vids and DVD's. Secondly: Have fun with youre machine while you explore what it can do for you. Dont be afraid to try different things and approaches. You will find a method that you are comfortable with and can expand from there. Finally: Be open minded to outside the box solutions to perplexing issues and you will go far. I have been doing this as a hobby for about 3 years now on the best stuff I could afford at the time and have learned a ton and made 2 tons of junk too. So a heartfelt welcome to possibly the most peacefull and laid back group there is, and dont hesitate to jump in and become a member of any discussion that you find interests you. If you have a specific question, or issue please feel free to ask, a member or a mod will be more than glad to assist you wherever possible. And remember, it took a while to get here and will take a short while longer to get where you want to be but the effort is worth the time and investment.
Wheelchair Bob

Back