New Guy on the Forum

ee-lee

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,

I signed up on the forum a few weeks ago and am just getting around to introducing myself. I am retired Navy, I retired on disability back in 1997. I was a Hull Technician so I am familiar with all types of metal fabrication. When I got out of the Navy the VA asked me what I wanted to be what I wanted to be when I grow up up and sent me back to school to be an electrical engineer, which is how I make my living these days.

I still love to putz around in the garage with a sorts of wood and metal projects. It's been years since I've done any machine work (pre-navy). But I am starting to get back into it.

I had started to put my collection of machines together after I finished school in 2002. With one kid in college money was scarce so some of my tools (drill press, etc. were from Harbor Freight. Fast forward to 2012, when in late October Super Storm Sandy visited our little town. My shop (1 car garage) had 3 feet of water in it, really not fun! The whole thing was just too depressing. Many of my machines lost motors and my hand tools in the tool boxes got pretty messed up as well.

I can also tell you from the experience that the only real purpose for flood insurance is appease the mortgage companies and enrich the insurance industry. They didn't pay for any of the tools or equipment that I lost despite having $52,000 in contents coverage.

So now I am finally finishing up repairs and replacement and soon my shop will again be fully functional.

My equipment includes:

Craftsman table saw with too many retrofits to list
Oliver 2159T 14"wood lathe
Assorted MIG, TIG, and stick welders
Smiths torches
Ingersoll Rand 5 hp air compressor with air dryer
More power tools than anyone should own (according to my wife)
Harbor Freight floor model drill press (soon to go to my son)
Walker Turner 24" jig saw
14 inch Delta band saw
Delta 6" x 48" belt sander with 12" disc sander
And as of yesterday:
Walker Turner 20" drill press
Hardinge lathe

The lathe was an add on sale when I bought the drill press. I couldn't pass it up for the price. At some point in the not too distant future I would like add a small milling machine to the shop.

welcome---you will fit in good with the rest of us---Dave

Welcome aboard. Great crew here, and a lot to be learned. We all love shop and project pics, so don't be shy about sharing yours. Ex-Navy here too, but that was many moons ago. Cheers, Mike

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you'll fit in with this merry band perfectly!

Howdy, and welcome to the group. I have a small lathe, a small mill, and a LARGE....... crescent wrench :D
Mark S.

Welcome to the group, My mill is a sherline, so not much but it will do small stuff, and you have more of the rest than some. People here will help in many ways including increasing the length of you project list. Again welcome.

Back