New Guy, New Lathe, need a little help.

Very nice looking bit of gear, lucky you. it should serve you well.

I’m a bit green with envy myself.
I hope you know how fortunate you are Mr. Iceburg.
I would give my, well, you get the idea.
Welcome!

Ran that same lathe off and on for over 30 years. Pushed it pretty hard at times. Always did the job without complaining!
You scored big time!

Nice score and very nice lathe. I have a Clausing 5418 which my dad used in the high school shop he taught at. I'm sentimental toward them as a result and have favored Clausings over other "old iron". Plus you have the 27 tpi setting in your QCGB that a lot of us covet. You've got a really nice, solid lathe there! Enjoy!

Bruce

I live close to you, In Nipomo, email me if you need machining help. bfdolen@gmail.com bill ps I also changed my lathe from a 3 phase to a 1 phase motor with help from an electrician friend of mine, you can get the high low range back with a quick pulley change bill

Thanks again, I do feel very fortunate to have found this lathe. Took a couple years of looking on Craig’slist local and pretty much the whole state.
Sorry I’m a little slo on reply’s but a lot of OT this week and family in town. I’ll get some pictures up of the rest of the tooling that came with the lathe in a few days.
I’ll also have a few questions on the vari-drive, once I have time.
Thanks for the offer BFD, I have a retired machinist friend who is chomping at the bit to help me out. But I will need all the help I can get. LOL. Once I get a few things sorted out come on over and check it out.

Hi Iceberg, I can't tell you what the manufacturer of your 3J is. I believe the 5" 3J that came with my T&C grinder is the same make (pictures attached) - and the counter bore that likely held the manufacturer's sticker is also blank. Everything else (right down to the font) seems very similar. The chuck has a separate mounting plate that you can shift the main chuck body (or perhaps it shifts the jaw carrier?) using the 3 wedges that are around the outside.

I had mine all apart and mucked around with it. Mine was very stiff and needed cleaning and I made an adapter for the #50 adapter to use on the T&C grinder's live head. It seems like a real pain to adjust the chuck, since I think you have to slack the first back plate so that the wedges will be able to shift the chuck body - except the mounting plate covers the SHCS (bolts) that secure the first back plate so you can't really spin it to check the run out. If you find any instructions, or figure it out (or someone else can enlighten us) - please share the information.

David

DSCF9765.JPG

DSCF9766.JPG

DSCF9767.JPG

DSCF9769.JPG

Chipper, it does look the same. Mine does seem to move freely so I have let it be for now. If I find anything out about it I will post it here.
Thanks.

Back