New guy looking for help on buying first lathe

owenst7

Registered
Registered
So here's the machine I'm going to check out this Saturday:
http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/tls/4579039915.html
01313_giHRcHFItko_600x450.jpg
00606_7H1jJ8qx2ww_600x450.jpg

I'm pretty unfamiliar with lathes. Have done metal fabrication just about my whole life, but never had access to a lathe. I build off road vehicles as a hobby/side work, desert race/rock crawlers specifically. Since I'm very novice at the moment, I'll have an immediate use for the machine making bearing drivers, maybe an odd bushing here and there, various tools (would love to make a carrier bearing puller), auto transmission clutch pistons (to add frictions), etc. As I get more experience, I'll probably start polishing crankshafts and possibly fabricating axle housings and steering components.

I'd like to know anyone's comments on this machine, the asking price, things to look out for, etc. From my research, it sounds like I should investigate for damaged gears and wear on the ways. The guy said he'd send me the serial later, so I've been trying unsuccessfully to identify the model from the pictures. Along with researching the machine more in-depth, I'd like to get the model number so I could better approximate a weight. I'm guessing around 3-4k lbs. I'm going to pick it up with my k1500 and 7k lbs car hauler, so I'd like to make sure I don't need to borrow a diesel and a bigger trailer before I try to drag it up Donner Pass in July.

01313_giHRcHFItko_600x450.jpg 00606_7H1jJ8qx2ww_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
I think you will be closer to 5000 pounds. Sounds like you know what to look for. I don't see a compound slide which is a negative. Try to check it running.
Dave

I may be wrong but all the crank polishing iv seen was always done in a special crank polishing machine. The crank was held so the journal would spin concentrically and then a belt sander type of machine was used to do the polishing. I suppose you could use a 4 jaw or faceplate to hold the crank offset and polish by hand or rig up a sander and accomplish the same thing.

If the machine is in good shape $1500 is a good price, especially if it comes with tooling. No compound slide might be a deal breaker, but one could probably be adapted to it. Hopefully the guy has it laying around somewhere.

I have a feeling that lathe is probably in the 6000lb range. Its a beast. If you can run it at the guys place, do it! Run it thru all the gears and check to make sure that the thread and cutting feeds are all working properly.

I may be wrong but all the crank polishing iv seen was always done in a special crank polishing machine. The crank was held so the journal would spin concentrically and then a belt sander type of machine was used to do the polishing. I suppose you could use a 4 jaw or faceplate to hold the crank offset and polish by hand or rig up a sander and accomplish the same thing.

You can polish them in a lathe, I do it all the time, never actually seen it done any other way to be honest. You do need a crankshaft polisher with at least a 60" belt to go with it.

If that is your first lathe, please be respectful/mindful of the fact that a monster like that can kill you in an instant. No doubt that's got a lot of horsepower...

Ray

X-2 on what ray says. I seen the results of a bit of a mind slip on one that size. That and I might be just a bit jealous. Keep in mind that is a heck of a load to "drag" off a trailer. Check the cost of having it in loaded and moved into place. Rollers are cool if you can get it off the ground at all.
Dan

Master of unfinished projects

My family were general contractors for three generations. I grew up as the equipment/machinery mechanic. I'm quite aware of the strength of stuff like this (I have also had the displeasure of seeing injuries caused by negligence).

I was more concerned about loading the machine than anything, but the guy said he has equipment to move it and it's in a big shop easy to get to. I've got plenty of equipment to unload it once I get it home.

Hopefully he'll get me the serial before I drive out there this weekend, and I'll ask him what the deal is with the compound slide. He called me back while I was driving and didn't have my list of questions available.

The crank polishing I've helped with in the past just spun the crank slowly while you rested a long belt sander-ish wand on the journal. We used probably 400 grit, and were basically just restoring the finish.

I've seen an automotive machine shop use a strip of emery cloth on a regular lathe to polish up the journals. Had no experience back in those days outside of doing valve work. He charged $20 for that back then.
Dave

Compare the motor power specs to what you have available?

Back