• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Untitled 1

As promised, a formal announcement has been made regarding recent changes in the administrative staff here at H-M.

Please take a few moments to go to our home page and review that announcement.

[4]

New Guy Here But Not Online

[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

wmgeorge

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Hello I have been doing HSM hobby wise for a number of years, maybe 20 maybe a little more. Started out with a SB Heavy 10 and as you might know how it is, put a LOT of money getting it in shape. Then I had a idea for something I later applied for a patent on, and needed a faster lathe so ended up with a Emco, out of a high school no less. Dollars and months later it was working good, it was an awesome machine.

So now I am downsizing my shop for a retirement move to a condo or town house. The Emco is gone the nice Grizzly medium sized mill is gone and I ended up with a Sieg C3 Mini lathe and a nice name brand drill press. I have also got a lot of interests, so I have a 3D Printer and a Galvo Fiber Laser machine.

So are discussions allowed about Chinese lathes, machines and modifications on those? I need to ask and if they are not allowed I will head on down the road. Thanks for letting me in the door.

savarin

Active User
I have a generic chinese lathe and have received tons of help here and have also posted many of my improvements.
The main rule is "Be nice to everyone" it works.
Go for it, there wont be any dissenting voices.

firestopper

Welcome WM, plenty of discussions on all sorts of machines to include Chinese lathes and upgrades. Many helpful folks on this friendly site.
I see your a supporter too.

wmgeorge

Yes, gets a little old on the "other" forums, the nitpicking the I know more than you, how dumb can you be and so on and so on. I have helped a lot of people with my God given skills and received help also,,, at times. Thanks for letting me get on the Board.

jim18655

Active User
The nice thing about this site is there isn't a machine snobbery attitude because the moderators won't allow it and the members just don't do it. It's all about helping each other no matter what type of machines you use. Use what you can afford or what you can find, we just don't care. Welcome aboard.

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Hi George,

are discussions allowed about Chinese lathes, machines and modifications on those?
Absolutely, jump in!
It sounds like you'd have a bundle of experiences to share on a range of different machines.

Welcome to the site!

-brino

royesses

Welcome to the forum. You have found the webs best resource for hobbyists and all machines from all countries. No snobs allowed here. You will find plenty of great information about Sieg machines and every conceivable project. This is truly the most friendly and helpful forums there is.

Roy

David S

Active User
Welcome WM. If it wasn't for Asian affordable machines I wouldn't have been able to enjoy as much of this hobby as I have and so quickly. We don't knock those machines down we show how to build them up.

Looking forward to your contributions and enjoy.

David

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
So are discussions allowed about Chinese lathes, machines and modifications on those? I need to ask and if they are not allowed I will head on down the road. Thanks for letting me in the door.
They are not only allowed, but they are encouraged! There are many members here that are in situations similar to yours, and others that purchase small machines in order to get started in this hobby at a reasonable cost. We all know and accept that some of these small machines have a little room for improvement and become very capable machines with just a few relatively easy modifications. Due to this, we highly encourage that people with these machines post their questions as well as their modification projects and experiences so that others can benefit from them as well.

Posts have been deleted in the past when someone 'attacked' a certain brand of machinery or machinery from a certain country, and that policy will continue in the future. An old adage that my mother taught me is firmly followed here: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." If anyone here EVER sees a post where that is not followed, we staff members want to know about it. All anyone has to do is click on the little 'Report' button that appears in each and every post.

With all of that said, welcome to H-M!

[6]
[5] [7]