New Grizzly G4000 9x19 setup

Paul Fithian

Registered
Registered
Hi folks, many thanks for the great info others have posted on this forum. I have a new Grizzly G4000 9x19 lathe on order to set up in my garage shop. Planning also to acquire one of the LMS 3786 tooling packages for it.

For the bench this will sit on, initial thoughts are to set the spindle height at 45" from the floor, elbow height. Grizzly advised the spindle center to chip pan distance is 11", so that would set the bench height at 34" from the floor. Does this sound right for a comfortable working height for this lathe?

Planning to level/align it on initial setup, and have learned a lot from the generous sharing of information from others here an on YouTube. Hope I can make similar contributions as I learn more. Other suggestions for a new lathe owner?

When I made a table for a G4000, I believe that I made 36" high. The reasoning behind elbow height is then your forearm is horizontal. Your contact point is most often the carriage crank and cross slide crank which is lower than the spindle height by several inches.

I made the table for my G0602 32" high which puts the carriage crank at 39" and the cross slide crank at 42". The OEM table for my Atlas/Craftsman 6 x 18 is 35" high and the carriage crank is 39" and the cross slide crank is 41". BTW, I am 5'10". Your table height may differ, depending on your height.

I just went and measured my Enco 9x20 which is essentially identical. It is on a factory stand that a prior owner put on wheels raising it up a bit.

Floor to spindle center on mine is 42" which is not an uncomfortable height but I think 3" higher would be even better for me. I'm 6'2" for reference.

I checked the floor of the pan to spindle center height and got 13". The stand on mine puts the lathe on 2" blocks, not the floor of the tray. It looks like Grizzly has a flat tray without blocks, so that would account for the difference.

The carriage handle is 5-6" lower than the spindle center, and the lowest of the regularly used controls.

Thanks fellas!

To confirm headstock to bed alignment, should I get a long MT3 taper test bar and measure with a dial indicator, then shim tail stock as needed? I have looked at the RDM and two collar methods, the test bar seems to be almost as accurate and easier. I'd have to purchase a piece of drill rod anyway for the RDM method.

You shouldn't need to shim the tailstock on a new lathe. Lateral alignment is done by loosening the tailstock clamp and adjusting the two opposing set screws in the tailstock base.

Not a shim between the tailstock and the ways, but between the pan and lathe foot per Grizzly's instructions:
To ensure accurate results from your lathe, use a precision level to make the lathe bedway exactly level from side-to-side and front-toback. If necessary, use shims between the lathe and chip pan.

I don't have a precision level, which is why I want to use an MT3 test bar to make sure initial setup is correct. I can turn a test bar later to confirm.

I plan to follow the procedure outlined in the Bolting Down the Lathe section of Berkeley's excellent REBUILDING THE ASIAN 9X20 LATHE

While waiting for the lathe to be delivered, I'm gathering tooling to use it. For light milling, I'm putting together a Grizzly T10721 milling attachment with an LMS 2" screwless vise:

LMS 3769  - Grizzly T10721 Full.jpg

Vise Edge to T-Slot centerline.jpg

First parts that I plan to make on the lathe are a set of 4 clamps to hold the vise, using this drawing from LMS that I modified:
LMS 2 inch Screwless Vise Clamps for Grizzly T10721.jpg

Planning to use this sequence of machining:
1) Mount ¾” x ¾” bar stock in lathe, face one end, and part 4 pieces 0.98” long
2) Set up piece in vise/milling attachment on lathe and mill 0.060” relief on long side with 0.130” ledge at bottom using 3/8" HSS end mill @ 1,000 RPM
3) Drill 13/64” holes with countersink for M5 machine screws
4) Flip piece in vice and drill 15/64” holes for steel rod
5) Mount 15/64” drill rod in lathe and part off 4 pieces 0.88” long with chamfer both sides

Any other advice you folks can suggest? Be kind, this is my first adventure in machine tooling

Attachments

• LMS 3769  - Grizzly T10721.jpg
    LMS 3769 - Grizzly T10721.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 20
Wait! There is a milling accessory for it?

There is!!

Opps, sorry, first things first. Welcome to the forum!! Congratulations on your first lathe and the beginning of a great journey! :welcome:

Following your milling attachment install!

Oh great:oops: Something else to make;):applause 2:
Steve, do share when you do. I loved seeing the progress photos when you got yours back to life. Plus all the additional cool stuff you made for it.

Last edited:
Back