New From The (808)

Forwarders called, Th.-Fr.......Mon-Tu are 48 hr shifts for me, so next week it will be delivered. I do feel a little out numbered not having a lathe....

Once I get up, and running with my new machine, and get my car back on the road, there will be this maintenance item. My car has a sintered iron clutch disc, after enough cycles, and abuse the disc face will need to be trued. The disc needs to be cut with a diamond cutter. I'm thinking face mill???? I do have an 8" rotary table with my new mill, and will be deciding on the best mounting technique. Maybe a 3-4 jaw chuck on the rotary table. Possibly an old input shaft drilled, and tapped to clamp the disc? Without the machine it's hard to visualize how to get it done.

1005161550_zpsgbbbat1c.jpg

1005161550b_zpsvjnzk7mo.jpg

I have worked a lot of 24hr shifts, some 36 and as few a 48hr as I Could. If I can ask what job has routine 48hr tours?

We work an average 56 hr work week, similar to a fire schedule, but with more flexibility on shift structure. I have worked as a paramedic since 1979, 37 years of memories I don't want. LOL

Well you have a few years on me, I went to medic training when hired as a DOD contractor in 1980. It was not my primary job but often enough and certainly never under good circumstances. This was just after I finished my apprenticeship, which I had started in high school. By the time I got back machine shop jobs had left the area and I needed work so I went to civilian Paramedic school. I have a few of those stories Id rather not remember as well. We were always the 24 on 48 off with the "kelly week" every third week. Nice because it left time to work in a local shop on my off days.

Once I get up, and running with my new machine, and get my car back on the road, there will be this maintenance item. My car has a sintered iron clutch disc, after enough cycles, and abuse the disc face will need to be trued. The disc needs to be cut with a diamond cutter. I'm thinking face mill???? I do have an 8" rotary table with my new mill, and will be deciding on the best mounting technique. Maybe a 3-4 jaw chuck on the rotary table. Possibly an old input shaft drilled, and tapped to clamp the disc? Without the machine it's hard to visualize how to get it done.

Welcome Aboard!

I think you are going to have to anchor that disk down pretty well to prevent chatter when cutting. I would make an aluminum plate that attaches to your rotary table. Make a center spud that fits snug in the spline bore, that centers the disk on the RT. Then bolt the disk down using the keyholes and flat head screws. You will have to support the disk pads, so cut a relief in the center to just clear the hub, and allow the pads to sit flat on the plate. Basically a mirror image of the disk.

A face mill would be a good choice, but I have no idea where to get diamond cutters.

Hey Tony,having a "disposable memory" helps a lot, pisses my wife off no end. "Do you remember" "No" I finally had a revelation If I had that good of a memory I would have committed suicide a long time ago. She is more tolerant now.
Jim, Tony, this disc is going to be a challenge. The clutch guy is the one who is specifying diamond cutters to not work harden, or burnish the disc. I am the novice here, open to knowledge. Thank you.

Back