TOOLMASTER

Forum Guest
Register Today
what P O S

WOW

do they cut threads with a chisel in china now

photo-1.JPG

photo-1.JPG

I've seen a huge decrease in quality of back plates lately. Some have crooked holes for the mounting lugs and keeper-screw holes are not counter bored enough to let the face sit flat on the spindle... It's not a problem just with Shars as I've encountered this with Enco's brand too.

Ray

does anyone make a solid steel back? not cast

I don't think you'd want one... CI does a wonderful job of absorbing the vibration from gearhead lathes. CI is absolutely magical in the way it absorbs vibration yet, is so strong. -No other material compares to it's ability.

does anyone make a solid steel back? not cast

I always just got blank face plates and cut the threads myself when I had a threaded spindle lathe.

I don't think these threads are cut... I think it's part of the casting.

and as mentioned, CI absorbs vibrations and helps control them overall. I would stick to CI.

Yep... Sharon, check-out this web site about CI vibration. Those are logrhythmic values (linda like Richter-scale earth quake numbers where an increase by 1 is 10 times the energy) and in this case, bigger numbers are better. Note that CI has some really big numbers.

http://www.atlasfdry.com/grayiron-damping.htm

Basically, it eats vibration like a sponge sucks up water.

Ray

I don't think these threads are cut... I think it's part of the casting.

and as mentioned, CI absorbs vibrations and helps control them overall. I would stick to CI.

I would just send it back for exchange or refund. It is disappointing to get your package, and open it up to find that. The threads on that plate do look really sad. The quality is poor to say the least. Don't these companys have a quality control inspector?
Best of luck on the next one

Call me old fashioned but i think i would rather have a machine that didn't vibrate in the first place rather than rely on a piece of cast iron to mask its failings.

Mike

I think I would sent it back also. This is an important piece of equipment. Quality is important.

You may want to look into a used American made faceplate.

Back