New Enco Bridgeport clone owner

Shotgun

Registered
Registered
I posted pictures of my purchase(s) here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/what-did-you-buy-today.55645/post-988358
When I jump in , I tend to jump in headfirst. The point I'm at now, I've bought a Bridgeport clone whose head appears to be a basket case, and a head off a different clone that is quite different. I also need a way to power the 3phase motors.

I think I've settled on a VFD to get 3phase. VFDs are cheap, and I only have the one machine to power. RPCs seem to be noisy power hogs, and SPCs cost as much as VFDs, but force you to give up 1/3rd of the power.

The head that is on the machine is a varispeed, but seems to be missing the worm gear. The other head is a belt swapping model. Would it be better to fix the varispeed and lock the VFD to 60Hz? Or simplify things with the belt swapper, and control speed with the VFD?

My preference would be for the step pulley head, I like the simplicity. Fixing a vari speed can sometimes get involved and costly
but there are plenty of happy vari speed owners out there
My opinion here but variable speed is not as big an improvement on a milling machine as on a lathe.

Last edited:
Did some work on it this evening. Starting the cleanup. The varispeed looks like it is missing nothing more than the worm gear.
Going over the machine, it looks like this was a donor machine. Several parts missing, but what's left seems to be in almost pristine condition. The flaking in the Y axis ways looks untouched.

There are quite a few BP knock-offs out there that may provide an alternate parts source. “Jet” comes to mind. There are several others, the usual identifier is the presence of two (2) X axis table locking levers.

I use an SPC on my Acra clone and it hasn't noticed the 1/3rd power loss YMMV.......... ;)

Reputable machinery builders will tell you to use a RPC, especially for variable speed heads. I have one for my BP and wouldn't think of using anything else. I tried a static phase converter and the motor wouldn't start when it was set at the higher speed ranges. It couldn't handle it.

Well, "reputable machinery builders" aren't paying my rent. :)
I ordered a cheap VFD today, based on the good reviews. At $106, delivered, it is no more expensive than the SPC and cheap enough to buy another if it is bad. I'll get 4 or 5 tries before I get to the cost of an RPC. I'll set it to output 60Hz, and mount it on the motor housing. The $106 includes an extension cable to allow the control interface to be remote, and I'll mount it where the current switch is.

I agree with @markba633csi about simpler being better, but swapping out the drive system is more than I want to get into now. I just need to find the proper worm gear for changing the speed.

Unless it ruins your motor. That'll cost you $1k.

Do what you want. Buy once, cry once.

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 10.29.02 PM.png

We've got to have a level set. Agree on terms and conditions, you might say.

Like, I'm wondering why anyone would spend $1k for a 2Hp motor for a hobbyist machine. I've got two on the shelf, one I got for free. Along with a couple 1.5Hp (one DC and one 120V).

When Mr. Besmer says, "no good", I need to understand what he means before I can give it any credibility. "No good" for a productions shop can be "just fine" for me. Some will say that a chinesium tool holder is not good, because it won't hold a cut to within a tenth over a 12hr shift, and I respond that I can barely hold a thou over a three hour shift. . . soooo. . . yeah. There's that. If "no good" means that a motor that I've got too many of will need replacing after a year of production usage, that means to me that the guy my kids sell the machine to after I'm buried will have to deal with it. If "no good" means the motor will catch fire and burn my house down, I would ask that Mr. Besmer be more explicit. :cool:

Back