New DRO; stuck in Diametral... How do I switch to Radius measurement??

springer

Active User
Registered
like it says, i finally got my scales and stuff mounted to my satisfaction and starting to play around. first thing i notice is my x scale is in diametral measurement mode. has the "d" next to the x scale reading.

i have read through the instructions on how to switch it, but when i scroll through the setup menus, it doesn't seem to have the Rad/Dia menu as i think it should.

it is an easson es-8, 2 axis on a PM-932.

any ideas?

G'Day Springer,
On my ES 8 there is button marked R/D on the lower right corner which switches between radius and diameter at any time, no need to enter setup, info is on page A2 of the manual, my ES 8 was purchased in 2010 so they may have made changes since then.
Regards,
Martin

I just found a manual on line. On the front there should be a button labeld " R/D" that button should toggle between the 2 modes.

Last edited:
mine doesn't have the R/D button. My furthest right button is just R. i think that enters into arc cutting function.

they must have changed it cuz i just bought mine a few weeks ago. i don't know what to do now. probably something silly, but i was kinda wondering if the missing option from the setup menus could be from initial programming problems.

The button just left of the R should toggle between the two modes. Best I can tell

Mine doesn't have it. It is the simplified R and R function for the two furthest right buttons.

It is the Es-8a if it makes any difference

The Easson ES-8 & ES-8A are completely different models. The ES-8 (non A) is an older model.

Generally DRO displays come in two different versions, mill/universal specific & lathe specific. The easiest way to tell if you have a lathe specific DRO is the second axis will be marked Z instead of Y like on a mill specific DRO.

To add, a 3 axis lathe specific DRO will have the 2nd & 3rd axis marked something like Z0, Z1. of course a lathe specific DRO isn't much different except that it won't have all the mill specific functions that are useless on a lathe & many times will be missing the R/D function depending on manufacturer. This is one of the main reasons I set out to get a lathe specific DRO display for my lathe. I use the R/D function a lot on the lathe & I wouldn't want to be without it.

I found pics of a lathe specific ES-8 that has the R/D function but I've never seen a regular lathe specific ES-8A model on anyone's machines but one Easson's CN site there is a ES-8A constant speed lathe model that is lathe specific & has the R/D function. I used to have a ES-8A on my mill, there was no R/D function. Only way to do it is to change the setting in the settings.

EDIT: Stupid me, I kept wondering why you would need the R/D function on a mill & didn't realize you were saying yours was set to the diameteral mode. Now I remember, on my lathe specific DRO (not an Easson) I can set R/D in the setting but not on the Easson. I forget when I had the ES-8A but for my ES-12 I can set DRO Type. If it's set to lathe I believe it automatically reads in diameteral for the second axis. See if you have this setting & set it to mill.

Last edited:
I guess I'll give dro pros a call tomorrow. I have it set to mill but jay don't have the rad/dia menu in the setup.

Back