New Drill Break In

No idea what happened on the paste of Brownell's page
Sorry

[The vertical stacking of the text in the above post was done so that drill bits can read it easier.]

:D

I was taught to take a wire brush the cutting edge of new and sharpened drills and tapes. It made a differences. You are removing the "featheredge " you can feel with your thumb nail.

No idea what happened on the paste of Brownell's page
Sorry

It's usually best to de-format web text in notepad before pasting into anything. Copy & paste into notepad, then copy from there to what ever you want. It strips out all of the non-readable and formatting characters.

Thanks for that reference John. Info like that is invaluable. It pretty much confirms Larry's original information - maybe just because we don't do it, doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea. There wouldn't be a more challenging drilling task than a rifle bore.
Their comments about using an arkansas stone to correct tendency to wander also speaks of removing tiny burrs - if have you ever tried to remove metal with a arkansas stone you'll know it don't remove much for all the effort you put in.
I was thinking about 'drills' with edges that never need a 'break-in' - Slot drills. These are usually much more finely ground than ordinary drills and better ones even honed (like Carbide ones) and I've never seen a burr on them, maybe thats why they don't need it, or maybe they too would benefit from a break-in! - jv

Hi,

maybe a misunderstanding, I always drill a hole in steel after sharpening a drill, just to see if I made it right.

Regards,

Jürgen

It's usually best to de-format web text in notepad before pasting into anything. Copy & paste into notepad, then copy from there to what ever you want. It strips out all of the non-readable and formatting characters.

Thanks Jim. good info.

When I first started my apprenticeship in 1974 we were taught to "break in" a new file on brass first. Never heard it about new drills though.

bollie7

Back