New dial for Atlas 10F

How do we save this post for future reference?
You could click on the "Watch" button to tag this conversation. Then later, click on the "Watched" button at the top of the page to find it amongst your watched topics.

Nice crisp details. Well done. Think that's the second time I've seen the saw blade indexing method.....first was with a 200t blade.....very resourceful.

Best,
Kelly

I am planning to make a dial for the tailstock on my lathe which I will need to have 100 segments. When I made a micrometer reamer stop I used Sketchup to divide a circle into 25 segments. Printed this out and used a plastic lid with a nail in the center to hold it. This got inserted into the spider on the lathe spindle. I used a dial indicator on a magnetic base as a pointer. Crude but works. I can divide a circle into however many segments I might need with Sketchup. I made the lines different lengths so it is easy to know how long to scribe each line.

IMG_4016.JPG

Here the 25, 50 & 100 segment drawings from Sketchup.

25 line circle.jpg

50 line circle.jpg

100 line circle.jpg

I have no recollection as to his Ebay User ID but there was once someone selling a retrofit-able tailstock dial similar to what you are talking about. It only took a few minutes to install and has been on my 3996 for at least five years and probably more..

While I was in a dial making mood I thought I would make another one for the compound. I have an aftermarket steel compound because my stock cast iron one cracked. I had to make a new back plate with recessed bolts because of the size of the dial. These were easily the best mods I've done for my lathe, so nice to read the dials without magnification.

Attachments

• 58643A3D-5337-4933-8249-3A5C162F2FE8.jpeg
    58643A3D-5337-4933-8249-3A5C162F2FE8.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 26
While I was in a dial making mood I thought I would make another one for the compound. I have an aftermarket steel compound because my stock cast iron one cracked. I had to make a new back plate with recessed bolts because of the size of the dial. These were easily the best mods I've done for my lathe, so nice to read the dials without magnification.
That is just so cool!!

I am definitely going to have to make this one of my projects as my old eyes are struggling to see the stock graduations on my 10F. Great work by the way.

You won't regret time spent on this mod. Easily one of the best improvements I've done to my lathe. The Rust-oleum appliance epoxy black paint is holding up really well for darkening the graduations.

I did the same a few years ago. It is documented in a post about making a new top slide for the Atlas. Made things a lot easier!
Pierre

Back