New chuck for Rockwell drill press 11-280?

Johnny_Block

Registered
Registered
I have a Rockwell 11-280 32" radial drill press and I'll like to replace the chuck. The current chuck has a 3/8" capacity and the keys I have don't fit it well. I want to go to a 1/2" chuck.

I've not changed a chuck before so I'm asking what do I need to know in order to find an appropriate chuck?

I have a big Rockwell drill press variable speed and it uses #3 Morse tape that uses a tapered punch to tap it out. A small window on the quill. Got pictures?

Just as I suggested!I think that if you loosen the collar at the top of the quill, you can remove the whole spindle to feal with chuck removal, finding a 1/2" chuck with 33 taper should be easy.

Mine is completely differant, the MT3 punches out and chuck is on a jacobs taper that is best remove with hardened U shaped tapered wedges. Your chuck may need those U wedges to remove it at the top of the chuck

Attachments

• 20230108_143914.jpg
    20230108_143914.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 5
I now have the spindle with chuck out of the machine. Now what? I've been searching online videos but I'm not finding how to get this chuck off. Do I set it on a vise (chuck facing upward) with the spindle between the vise's jaws (loose, not clamped) and tap the body of the chuck on top of the vise's jaws?
chuck_and_spindle.jpg

Sometimes, a hole can be drilled through the chuck towards the spindle and a punch inserted into it and when the chuck is supported on the vise jaws and the punch given a good whack with a hammer, the spindle will be knocked free of the chuck, this saves having to buy the wedges and having to make a spacer to add to their thickness.

Back