New Bridgeport Owner - needs help

Ok, I couldn't resist. I tore mine down. Once you are as far along as you are, cam rod out of plunger, slip a long pin down the hole in the top of the block and drive the plunger down. It should move about a quarter inch before the bushing pops out. Not a lot of force necessary there. I removed the pin from mine, and can see no reason to do so other than to avoid bending it with the pin used for driving. A little extra care should avoid the need. If you decide to anyway, rotate the plunger 90 degrees and drive the pin down into the cavity the cam rod normally resides in.Caleb Army_064.JPG

Caleb Army_064.JPG

Ok, I couldn't resist. I tore mine down. Once you are as far along as you are, cam rod out of plunger, slip a long pin down the hole in the top of the block and drive the plunger down. It should move about a quarter inch before the bushing pops out. Not a lot of force necessary there. I removed the pin from mine, and can see no reason to do so other than to avoid bending it with the pin used for driving. A little extra care should avoid the need. If you decide to anyway, rotate the plunger 90 degrees and drive the pin down into the cavity the cam rod normally resides in.View attachment 65820

Now I see why you are a Bronze member and I, swarf! You go above and beyond the call of duty.

Thanks for the help - I'll give her a go!

I'm glad I can help. I have received so much help here. I want to be a part of passing that along. Me having a different little name than you just means I've asked more questions, run off at the mouth more, or some combination thereof. Good luck, Lee

SunPro, your Bridgeport looks to be in excellent shape. Internally, the parts look brand new.:))

Ok, I couldn't resist. I tore mine down. Once you are as far along as you are, cam rod out of plunger, slip a long pin down the hole in the top of the block and drive the plunger down. It should move about a quarter inch before the bushing pops out. Not a lot of force necessary there. I removed the pin from mine, and can see no reason to do so other than to avoid bending it with the pin used for driving. A little extra care should avoid the need. If you decide to anyway, rotate the plunger 90 degrees and drive the pin down into the cavity the cam rod normally resides in.

Never did get the plunger out. End may be nicked - so since it worked, I decided to save $70 if I accidently trashed it!
Thanks for all the advice.

- - - Updated - - -

SunPro, your Bridgeport looks to be in excellent shape. Internally, the parts look brand new.:))

The Power Feed Transmission Engagement Lever was removed from the Bport head when I bought it. The gears may have not been used for a long time!

I've oiled up the cups and ran it through a few cycles with the Power Feed Engaged. Curious to see if it is getting any lubrication. I'll know as soon as I tear it down again.

I would be willing to bet the old fellow who had that machine wore out several oil can in his life time. Old machinists were almost maniacal about oiling and lube and would often engage in protracted battles among themselves as to which particular brand of lube was the best. My grandfather was the chief Electrician and engineer for Island Creek Coal way back many years ago and they used to gather at Poppaws and debate all kinds of esoteric machinists issues. Much Bourbon whiskey flowed and the conversations sometimes got pretty loud, but the old guys were passionate about their skills and trades. I even knew an "Oiler" from an old steam locomotive who's job was to go around at every stop and refill all of the oil cups all over the place. The Chief Logan is still in a park in WVA exactly as it was parked many decades ago. So there is a lot to be said for being thorough and consistent with your oiling and lube ritual. Avoid the compressed air like a bad social disease and use plenty of good quality lube as specified in your manual and you will be very happy with the next 50 or so years that Bridgy gives you in trouble free service...Your kids and Grand kids will appreciate it too, if they follow your interests and hobbies as they get older. Good luck and enjoy the excellent machine and I hope that you find al of the help you need to keep it going right here among friends.

Bob

Back