1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

New Bridgeport Attachment - Be a Part of the Product Development Process

Discussion in 'BRIDGEPORT MACHINES INC. & B'PORT CLONES' started by Birder, Jul 17, 2017 at 9:05 AM.

1. Birder

Birder United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Raleigh
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

Hello everyone,
    I am developing a new attachment for Bridgeport mills. I am in the early days, and have a handful of prototypes, and would like to request some feedback on my new tool. I am not asking for funds, donations, etc, but will give you the tool, in exchange for some feedback.
    Send me a PM if you are interested please.
    Thank you
    Birder

2. tq60

tq60 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    madera
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Pm sent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

3. Buffalo20

Buffalo20 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Camden
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

To me your, post is way too vague, it's like an ad that say you have land for sale, then not tell us the location, the type (farm, camp, building lot) or the price. It's hard to get interested. I also haven't the time to play email tag,, give us a clue, what it is or does, not asking for minute detail, just a general overview.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017 at 9:48 AM
  4. RandyM

RandyM United States Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Stoughton
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

I too maybe interested, but not knowing what the tool does I am reluctant to volunteer.

5. john_c_kennedy

john_c_kennedy United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Layton
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

More details please.

6. mikey

mikey Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Honolulu
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

I would guess the details are lacking because you can't enforce a Non-disclosure Agreement over the net.

GA Gyro likes this.
  7. chips&more

chips&more United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Danville
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

There are so many attachments/accessories for the Bridgeport already. I think the wheels have already been invented for the Bridgeport. I’m a tolaholic and have to have it all. But have I used all of the attachments for my Bridgeport…NO. It’s a very versatile stand alone machine. If you use some finesse, you don’t need all the toys they try to sell you. Think your progress out first. Think each step for the simplest and most accurate. Learn your machines limits. Only then can you make meaningful parts. And be safe…Dave

8. Birder

Birder United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Raleigh
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

Mikey is correct on the NDA part of this. My hope is that if things progress, I can share more of these and just ask for other volunteers. I could say, "No obligation" "Free" etc, but I'm not a scammer. I've had a few positive responses, and am interested in speaking to some more of you. Thank you. Birder

9. Silverbullet

Silverbullet Active Member Active Member

City:
    Marlton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

The drummer is drumming . We don't know how to answer the question.

10. mikey

mikey Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Honolulu
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

I am surprised at the responses to Birder's offer. He has a potentially useful tool that he is offering to give you in exchange for your feedback on the tool. I don't see a downside other than the time it takes to give him a thoughtful and honest appraisal. Wow, tough crowd.

GA Gyro likes this.
  11. coffmajt

coffmajt H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Oklahoma City
    State:
    Oklahoma

-Return to Top-

I have a vertical mill (not Bridgeport) but if the attachment would fit R8 spindle I'm game -- Jack

mikey likes this.
  12. Alittlerusty

Alittlerusty Active Member Active Member

City:
    Plympton
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

PM sent , it might even be useful my spindle is r8 as well

13. Silverbullet

Silverbullet Active Member Active Member

City:
    Marlton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

You've got almost a dozen of us interested , what now...

14. GA Gyro

GA Gyro H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Atlanta
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

Sent along an PM...
    Always interested in new gadgets... Keeps the wheels between the ears turning!
    THX for the opportunity to contribute!

GA

15. gr8legs

gr8legs Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Silverton
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

My opinion: Inventing and protecting a mechanical device intended for use by machinists is like trying to nail Jell-O to a wall while roller skating in a manure pit and singing an operatic aria, all at the same time. The likelihood of commercial success and eventual profitability is (IMO) a unicorn.

The OP, if he has not already done so, should investigate through the patent office (USPTO.gov) filing a provisional patent application. It's an inexpensive way to protect an invention for a year while investigating the market possibilities and financial potential, keeping in mind the proclivity of the potential buyer to 'knock off' one of his/her own, plus making sure it hasn't already been invented.

After hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars prosecuting a patent to issuance you end up with a nice piece of paper with a number on it and probably not much else. Patent infringement litigation (if a patent does eventually issue) is expensive and for a little guy is another exercise in Jell-O nailing. I speak from experience.

My next similar project will be 'open source' - my idea thrown out to the world and let the best brains develop and improve it. It's still 'my' idea and now I maybe get to see it succeed, just without the millions of blue sky dollars the unicorn promised.

Sorry if I sound like a rain cloud . . . . been there, done that; have the T-Shirt and a patent. I can sell the T-shirt.

Stu

GA Gyro likes this.
  16. GA Gyro

GA Gyro H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Atlanta
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

Yes... sadly...

The odds of inventing a better mousetrap and making a $bundle...
    Are somewhere between slim and none... and Slim is not scheduled today... grin!

Been down this road myself... the key is to develop a product one can sell hundreds of thousands of copies... QUICKLY...
    And get the product to the market QUICKLY.... that is, before anyone has time to make a 'knock off' version.
    What comes to mind is the $19.95 gadgets 'as seen on TV'... which usually cost about a buck or two to make... in China.

Make your $$$ quickly... and let the knock off folks sue each other into oblivion.