New Albrecht Drill Chuck Runout

The spec is usually 0.004" or better for integrated keyless chucks, probably hit or miss, also depends on the size pin in the chuck used for measuring. Llambrich does have a better spec. for their integrated chucks, maximum 0.0016" and 0.0012" at 50 mm for the Hexa keyed chuck System (which also permits reversing the chuck). There is also the angular component of how straight the chuck holds the tooling, not sure if this is the same between manufactures of where they measure TIR. If I need to be down in the 0.001" range, I use my ER collets. I have been looking at the Llambrich Hexa chuck with an integrated R8 shank for repetitive tasks where I need to switch tooling (but expensive).

I have been there and done that. I own many many drill chucks in all flavors. And in my many chucks, I have found one that always turns true. It’s a Jacobs 1/2” key chuck. That is the one I always grab. The Albrecht keyless chucks that I have, they all collect dust. The keyless do not give me the feel of how much holding power is applied. And I have had a keyless lock up on me, holding the bit like it was welded in there. I hope you find a chuck that turns true, no matter what the brand is and hang onto it…Dave.

Last edited:
Thank y'all for the responses. I read on their propaganda sheets that the integrated chucks should have better run out. This is the first drill I bought for the mill, waited long enough due to the cost to replace the ones that came with it are 2 to 3x worse that this, you can actually see the gage pin wobble don't need an indicator.

I think I would go for the exchange if they will do it.
I have quite a few of those chucks and only my most recent has more than .001 run out.
Every one of them bought off of ebay for less than $100.00
The most recent is a 1/4" and has .004 run out. I thought I'd be smart and I ground a 1/4" pin after drilling centers in it. I then chucked it into the chuck and turned the assembly with arbor on my cylindrical grinder.
I ended up with a chuck that has no run out with a 1/4" drill and increasing run out as drill size goes down.
So looks like I need a new arbor and a hammer to adjust it like Jim says.

I am sending the chuck back for refund and I will give this one from Precision Matthews a try once I get the refund from Enco. PM claims less than 0.001 runout. Half the price of the Albrecht, it is worth the try, will see how this PM branded product performs. It looks like a Vertex. Just like most products from Taiwan, this drill chuck might just be a winner.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AGPPESD8BEQWT

Last edited:
Bamban,

Glad you returned it, I would expect more at that price. I also just returned a (cheaper) 3/4" chuck that was way out of spec with a TIR of 0.01" OMG. I am not a big fan of keyless chucks for the mill (my preference), I have the Glacern integrated keyless that holds to 0.001" TIR, just do not like the way it clamps and that I cannot go backwards for power threading. I would also look at Llambrich chucks, the keyless integrated from PM also looks like to be very nice. Matt mentioned he was getting these in, and like his newer chucks, they are as good as other at 2-3X the price. Let us know what you think of the replacement.

The spec is usually 0.004" or better for integrated keyless chucks, probably hit or miss, also depends on the size pin in the chuck used for measuring. Llambrich does have a better spec. for their integrated chucks, maximum 0.0016" and 0.0012" at 50 mm for the Hexa keyed chuck System (which also permits reversing the chuck). There is also the angular component of how straight the chuck holds the tooling, not sure if this is the same between manufactures of where they measure TIR. If I need to be down in the 0.001" range, I use my ER collets. I have been looking at the Llambrich Hexa chuck with an integrated R8 shank for repetitive tasks where I need to switch tooling (but expensive).
Could that be actually Lambrecht? That is the common German brand name.

Albrecht chucks are the gold standard -- I think everyone would agree. The RO should be well under .002" in any event. I had chance to see this for myself when I rebuilt an older Albrecht. Because they grind the parts for each chuck as a set, the fit is amazing. I actually had some trouble pulling the thing apart because of the vacuum created by the tight fit (and this was a well used chuck). Once I finished the rebuild, I started in on a Chinese clone version. The fit was much more sloppy. Also, the design was a little different. I think Albrecht holds patents on certain elements of the design, so the Chinese had to work around this using a less precise design.

Albrecht chucks are expensive, but worth every penny!

:eagerness:

Back