New Albrecht Drill Chuck Runout

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
At the last Enco Promo, 20% off and Free shipping I finally decided to buy an Albrecht Dill Chuck with an integrated R8 shank that went up to 1/2 inch.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=890-9226

I did not have the opportunity to try it till today. To my surprise checking runout with a Deltronic pin, it was 0.0025. The quill is near zero.

Is this about normal for an Albrecht or should I return it for exchange?

That seem reasonable for any chuck. Drilling is not a precision operation. There is a way to to bring it to near zero. Smacking the high side with a dead blow hammer will normally bring it to 0 or close. It may take more than one whack.

Earlier this evening I came across a spec for Albrecht chucks, run out is supposed to be .0014 I would check the run out of your spindle at several locations up into the bore. If you have the alignment pin removed from your spindle load the Albrecht at 12, 3, 6, and 9 oclock and see if the run out follows the chuck.

Jim,

Thank you. I've been using an R8 shank ER32 collet to do the tasks in pinning the rear sights of the AR target rifles. The operation involves pressing 2 parallel .125 pins into the upper receiver and reaming the holes in the rear sights with .1270 carbide chucking reamer. The pins ride through the holes as the rear sight is cranked up and down. I thought I would make my life easier if I were to use a good drill chuck instead of the collet.

I am not in the business, the Albrecht is just a luxury for me, I was sort of disappointed with the runout. As you alluded to, I may be expecting too much from drill chuck.

20160127_021705 (1).jpg

Earlier this evening I came across a spec for Albrecht chucks, run out is supposed to be .0014 I would check the run out of your spindle at several locations up into the bore. If you have the alignment pin removed from your spindle load the Albrecht at 12, 3, 6, and 9 oclock and see if the run out follows the chuck.

Where is the alignment pin in the Bridgeport mill spindle and how do I remove it?

The chuck itself may be in spec but add in the runout of the arbor and 0.0025 is pretty good. That is why I ''adjust'' mine when needed.

This pin is probably worn or broken. Most just take it out.

"Billy G"

If it’s an integrated chuck. You would not factor in any possible run out errors from a typical arbor connection.

Last edited:
I bought a Llambrich 1/2 keyless chuck with an integrated R8 arbor based on their claim of .0006" run-out or less. I used a length of 3/8" drill rod and measured the run-out with it chucked in my mill. I have previously measured the run-out on my mill spindle inside the R8 taper and it has no measureable run-out. Even though it does not look like it in the video, the dial indicator is perpendicular to the drill rod. As you can see in the video, they deliver what they claim.

Last edited:
Back