New additional workbench

SouthernChap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I knocked this up.

I didn't make the frame, I've not started down the welding rabbit hole yet; got it made by a local chap who runs a fabrication shop.

All the woodwork is mine. It's hardly a fine piece of furniture but, eh, I'm no cabinet maker (at school, the woodwork teachers looked at my attempts and wrote me off as a bad job :grin: ) and this is a workbench, not a living room decoration. ;)

I got 25mm hardwood ply cut to size and I had enough left over in the offcuts to give the 'hand tools' side two layers of 25mm ply. The grinder/sander/bandsaw side just has hardboard on top of the onr 25mm ply base.

Three coats of yacht varnish clumsily applied, and hand tools and machine tools placed and here we are:

20240209_211202.jpg

20240209_211218.jpg

I did the electrics for the bench too; I don't think it'll burn the house down :grin: (note the lighting is on a separate lighting circuit, and the bench is on a new fused spur off of a mains circuit)
20240209_211629.jpg
The underneath of the workbench top:
20240209_211648.jpg

I did this because I now have this rather nice set of drawers (they're just a bit bigger than A1 size) placed on my old, cheap, flimsy bench 20240209_211317.jpg
(and if my electrics start a fire, I now have an extinguisher handy up on the wall :grin:).

Just have a bit of reorganisation to do to make use of the shelf beneath the workbench. Might add some shallow drawers just underneath the workbench top on each side.

Last edited:
Back in the day this would’ve landed you a job as a coachbuilder for the British Leyland :grin:
:grin:

My dad had an Austin Allegro in the 70's when I was of single digits age.

He seemed to spend a notable number of weekends in the garage, taking the next sheet of gasket material off the pile,:grin: and cutting out new head gaskets!

Excellent job on the wood bench. The only metal topped bench in my shop is the welding bench.....the others are wood topped.....much more user friendly for me.

Excellent job on the wood bench. The only metal topped bench in my shop is the welding bench.....the others are wood topped.....much more user friendly for me.
I figured a mild steel top on a steel framed table would ring like a gong and here in the UK houses are closer together.

I'm not sure I could have afforded a cast iron top 800 x 1800. ;)

So I knocked this up.

I didn't make the frame, I've not started down the welding rabbit hole yet; got it made by a local chap who runs a fabrication shop.

All the woodwork is mine. It's hardly a fine piece of furniture but, eh, I'm no cabinet maker (at school, the woodwork teachers looked at my attempts and wrote me off as a bad job :grin: ) and this is a workbench, not a living room decoration. ;)

I got 25mm hardwood ply cut to size and I had enough left over in the offcuts to give the 'hand tools' side two layers of 25mm ply. The grinder/sander/bandsaw side just has hardboard on top of the onr 25mm ply base.

Three coats of yacht varnish clumsily applied, and hand tools and machine tools placed and here we are:

View attachment 477661

View attachment 477662

I did the electrics for the bench too; I don't think it'll burn the house down:grin:(note the lighting is on a separate lighting circuit, and the bench is on a new fused spur off of a mains circuit)
View attachment 477663
The underneath of the workbench top:
View attachment 477665

I did this because I now have this rather nice set of drawers on my old, cheap, flimsy bench (it's just a bit bigger than A1 size):View attachment 477664
(and if my electrics start a fire, I now have an extinguisher handy up on the wall :grin:).

Just have a bit of reorganisation to do to make use of the shelf beneath the workbench. Might add some shallow drawers just underneath the workbench top on each side.
Love the document cabinet. I redid one for my son. They make great tool/ parts drawers. Super smooth glide.
Shop looks great.

Love the document cabinet. I redid one for my son. They make great tool/ parts drawers. Super smooth glide.
Shop looks great.
I got it for £100; they're normally around £300-£500 on eBay.

The seller was a middle aged theatre costume designer, with a lackadaisical approach to personal hygiene and was living with his mother in a really rather large but 'faded glory' style house in Eastbourne (a southern coast seaside town). Maybe he was one of these 'artiste naifs' who didn't care about money.

I now have to get back to actually working with some metal rather than wood. ;)

Back