New 3 phase info (maybe for some)

GK1918

Active User
Registered
As I posted sometime ago, my son is puttin up a 100 x 100 horse barn with a new 60x60 shop inside. Now I do not know what all you folks
power co.'s are, but the kid got National Grid over here ( for 3Phase) they said they will provide the transformer and we gotta pay for the drop.
And the drop will be underground....so I thought 3ph was a big deal, but I guess not.
due to the weather, this project on hold till the spring (oh we dont have spring in N. England. spring means mud).

ps horses? do they bite? I aint no farm boy samuel

in this part of the country three phase is wonderful if you normally use lots of power..
for a small shop I don't see where it would be financially advantageous.
the rate is strangely based on the highest monthly usage per minute or something like that.
the company I worked at 25 years ago used phase sequencers when starting up all the high use equipment each day keeping the "demand" at a minimum.

I see spring time will probably be quite late this year. . . . holy smokes, we got winter. and then winter again. finally above zero her, now we're expecting more snow. . .

I think you'll be glad that you put in the 3 phase. It opens you up to another world of used equipment.

in this part of the country three phase is wonderful if you normally use lots of power..
for a small shop I don't see where it would be financially advantageous.
the rate is strangely based on the highest monthly usage per minute or something like that.
the company I worked at 25 years ago used phase sequencers when starting up all the high use equipment each day keeping the "demand" at a minimum.

I see spring time will probably be quite late this year. . . . holy smokes, we got winter. and then winter again. finally above zero her, now we're expecting more snow. . .

3 phase is billed on based on your peak surge, not actual kwhrs used. So when you come into your shop in the morning, try not to turn everything on at once or they'll kill you with the bill. I didn't believe it, when someone told me that. It was confirmed to me by a few people.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

3 phase is billed on based on your peak surge, not actual kwhrs used.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Industrial rates are based on both, and may also vary with time of day. Get the rate schedule from your utility and you will be able to figure out how to optimally schedule operations.

Yes Samuel, Horses do bite, but that is just to distract you, so they can kick you....and the kick is worse than the bite....That's the bad news ...the good news is that they have Horse sense and usually know who to bite and kick ! :)

Back