Never loose a chuck key again

As far as misplacing the chuck wrench, get into a habit of putting it in one place all the time, a magnetic strip somewere on the lathe might help, Im concidering this idea for my many tool holders

While useful in other places, a magnetic strip may prove less than ideal on a lathe, think chips and swarf.
How about just fixing a short open ended tube somewhere near the headstock to drop it into?

M

I have those single drawer H.F. tool carts at every machine, And the ones for the Lathes I made 2 L hooks on the end closest to the lathe and that where I hang my keys.

And on the same end a have a crescent and the wrench for the QCTO. On the other end I have L Hooks for a chip brush and some large dogs.

But I can still lose stuff right there!!!!!

Paul

Could always store it in a live hand grenade. Never forget to put it back.

I have 4 different keys for chucks on my lathe. They are each stored on their own pegs on the tool board behind the lathe. They always go back on the pegs after use. Easy reach. No losses.

I can imagine a chuck key suspended on a bungee cord coming up and snapping me in the nose while I'm looking at something on a short part.

I made 4 chuck keys as one of my first projects in metalworking so I'd always have one handy. And now I find I only use the one that came with my three jaw chuck and lathe. Never lose it. Go figure.
I tend to hang mine between the ways behind the tail stock, but I picked up some plastic tubing hangars and the hardware store and have another key hanging on the end of the bench.

Never been a problem in the 45 years of me running a lathe. loosing a chuck key. I've wore out one, though.

I now have a drawers under the lathe with everything handy
steve

chuck keys.
1. only myself or my brother touches anything in the shop.
2. never, ever, at all ever, at any time at all, do we leave a chuck key in the lathe chuck. full stop. this was beaten into me by my dad. it is considered the unholiest of crimes.
3. have one key per chuck
4. tidy up before, and after you are working.

I remember talking to a friend that went to MR (Machinery Repairman) School in the Navy around 1960. The instructor told them ONCE to never leave the key in the chuck. After that, if he found a key in a chuck, it went into one of the handy buckets around the shop that was 1/2 filled with really nasty water and filled the rest of the way with cigarette butts.

My friend said you only had to dig in the bucket for the chuck key once to remember to not leave it in the chuck.

Back