Never loose a chuck key again

jpfabricator

Active User
Registered
I was wondering what yall think of this? Somewhere in the near future I am going to secure my lathe chuck to the rafters of my shop with a long bungee cord. Im going to make it high enough that its out of the way for everyday opperation, but with enough slack and expandability to reach the chuck comfortably. I thought with this setup chuck loss, and acidental strtup with the key still in the chuck would be eliminated completly. I can see only the good in this, can anyone see why this wont work, PLEASE post any comints on this.:think1:

might just work.

I personally prefer to avoid unnecessary jigging up and put the same effort into making something WITH the lathe. I don't care much for dangling things around the shop, and as a general rule of thumb prefer to practice-practice-practice safe procedures so that they are embedded in you, these procedures will stay with you regardless of which machine you work on, or in which workshop you with at. so if you ever end up working on another machine that doesn't have the bungee cord with the key on it, your inner self will be the one to control and practice the safe operation of the machine, and there won't be any windows of opportunities for malpractice.

that's my take on it. your miles may vary.

See no reason why that wont work. My big lathes key is as big as a tire iron, no problem, its my other
two SBs using two for 4jaw chucks I swear they grow legs I even epoxied magnets thats no good when
they slip into the unknown cracks of magnetizim. Then I sprayed them fluresent orange, put them on
those key springy things ya ware on ya belt then I conclude its a case of brain CRS. Good idea
especially for four jaws that I will suspend back side of chunk thats the ones with legs.
Glad Im not the only one losing these things

From the point of view of never losing it or leaving it in the chuck I'm sure it will work.
However, I don't find it hard to imagine the time when you stretch it down from above and it slips from your fingers before you have a chance to insert it into the chuck, thereby giving you a fun Wile-E-Coyote moment as it ricochets around the shop and possibly onto your head a couple of times before it comes to rest........meep, meep! :rofl:

M

You guys just gave me a brain fart glue a sensor on them and clap then it beeps. I know they were
made for keys. No not being wise guy but the author of this post is on my page its not about leaving
it in the chuck its about chucking up do the job and when done where the hell is the key. This
happens to me every day its always the little key for the 4jaw. Then it gets worse typically ill find
it the next day from my shirt pocket, side the phone, to inside the fridge or just where it dont belong.
How about one year looking for my Mt3 to MT2 sleeve all the while its was still in the spindle with
the chuck on.

I want to be a moderator, a new forum Machining after 65 !!!!!!! sincerely Samuel

Try modifying the square end of your chuck wrench to accept a spring loaded pin dead center. The spring should be of suffient strength to push the wrench out of the chuck when you let go of it, thereby not allowing you to forget it in the chuck. Some drill press keys are of this type. My lathe has a cover for the chuck, it has to closed before anything will start. The chuck wrench will not fit under a closed cover.
As far as misplacing the chuck wrench, get into a habit of putting it in one place all the time, a magnetic strip somewere on the lathe might help, Im concidering this idea for my many tool holders

I can think of several ways a chuck key on a tensioned cord is going to eventually hurt you. Not my idea of a fun move. I don't like magnets, tried them many years ago, because they just suck multiple tools together or even worse, swarf or metal grit onto the tool in question.

Over the years I have done more than my fair share of automotive work, woodworking, and now trying my hand at machining. All use a variety of diverse tools interactively.

For me it boils down to being organized. The previous day ends with all tools either put away where they belong or cleaned and neatly placed on a work table (if it's a multi day job). My son was a auto mechanic and he drove into me the importance of a work table to place tools on in between you using them.

As tools get used they either are put immediately away (rarely) or placed on the designated temporary table. So the tool is either (1) in your hand, (2) on the work table, or (3) put away where it belongs.

Granted if you are welding, doing automotive work, fabricating and machining all for the same project on the same day it can get chaotic with the variety of tools but you have to stay organized to remain productive. Particularly if there are two of you working together throughout the day.

Even the top of a toolbox can be used as a small work table to put tools on. I've modified mine so the top lid can stay closed while letting the drawers to open. I don't move my tool boxes around though. Space is too tight to be able to move them anywhere.

The other thing I have done is weld protrusions/brackets of one kind or another on various stands to hold key items close at hand. That is where they are permanently stored too.

chuck keys.
1. only myself or my brother touches anything in the shop.
2. never, ever, at all ever, at any time at all, do we leave a chuck key in the lathe chuck. full stop. this was beaten into me by my dad. it is considered the unholiest of crimes.
3. have one key per chuck
4. tidy up before, and after you are working.

Its not clear if your losing your chuck key, or your looking for a place to keep it handy.

I wouldn,t want a chuck key on a bungee cord, and hanging anywhere near the chuck. Just dont trust a BC.

I have a wooden tray on top of my headstock that holds all my keys. I realize not all machines have a spot on the headstock to have a tray.

If its a case of your not wanting to leave it in the chuck, then you have other choices. Paint the key bright yellow if you misplace it often. that colour is about the most visable, other than maybe hot pink.:whistle:

You could tack weld a spring on your key, so it will allways self eject after each use. Some guys have those chuck hood that has a saftey switch installed, so if the key is in, and the hood is up, the saftey switch prevents the lathe from starting.

Depending on your setup, you could also make a mount for the front of your chip tray to hold all the keys you normally use.

Or the simple method, paint it a bright colour so you cant miss it, and remove it a toss it in your chip tray every time.
Id rather do any of the above before I would hang a key from a bungee cord.

As Purplev said, pratice,safe habits.

Back